[Sentinel] Damian and Colin

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Sentinel] Damian and Colin

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:01 pm

Colin shifts uncomfortably in his suit. It's at least three sizes too large for him, but it was the only one left after the other boys had gone through the boxes in the attic. Colin hadn't wanted to wade in the middle of that tussle--everyone had been so strangely worked up over looking their best for the Gala.

At least he wasn't the only one here in a suit that didn't fit. Most of the orphanages in the city seem to have turned out their inhabitants for the night. Colin knew a lot of them, but there were some unfamiliar faces who had to have come from orphanages further out on the outskirts of Gotham. How bad was it, that Gotham had more than one orphanage--that was the theme of the night.

He tugged at the collar of his starched shirt. He needed a breath of air. Maybe then he would be able to stop feeling so /anxious/.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Re: [Sentinel] Damian and Colin

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Damian was brought along to show family ties, on the surface. His father needed to show the public that he cared for more than just the orphans of the city, needed to let them know that he keeps his family just as close as he keeps his many charities.

Truth be told, he was there for training. He was meant to mingle and stay as centered as possible. It's not like he zones often, not compared to most, but he's still young. His father wants him to be able to handle things until he finds a Guide. If he finds a Guide. He may yet be stuck with Pennyworth - the manor's emotionally stabilising bike.

He /hates/ crowds. People smell and they are too loud, always shouting over each other to say inane things that they think make them sound clever. All the women were wearing dresses that caught the light and distracted Damian more than anything else and /would they please stop standing so close to him/. Is that really so difficult?

He probably just needs some air, he decides, and slips away from his father and Todd. They don't notice - and if they do, they don't bother to show it.
sinistra_blache
RESIDENT VILLAIN SYMPATHISER

Character sheet
Name: Mitz Stillhaven
Class: Engineer

http://filibuster-vigilantly.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Colin heads outside. The grand ballroom has balconies attached; the guests are invited to take a moment out on the balcony any time they wish, to view the splendid gardens that stretch out beneath. Colin hadn't wanted to go out there before--there had been mostly men and ladies together, holding hands and such. But now it seems mostly clear, the canapes having attracted everyone back inside.

He tucks himself away in a shadowed corner of the balcony, looking down at the pretty fountains below. He pulls his attention away from the cacophony of people (pretending to care while they felt disdain or disgust or worse, /pity/ about the orphans they talked at; the orphans themselves jealous, desperate to make a good impression, terrified but jittery with hope) to the falling water.

It's calming. It's nice.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Damian has his lip curled in discomfort more than disgust by the time he makes it through the crowd and to the balcony. He sighs, letting himself breathe and focus his thoughts inward, closing his eyes. He steps forward to lean against the stone wall, looking out on the city below them.

There's a boy hidden away to the side. He's uncomfortable and a little lost, by the way he's breathing and holding himself. Damian tries to ignore him - but can't. He finds himself using him to distract from the crowd even as he pretends he isn't there. He smells, well. He smells starchy and musty and a little stale, but that's just the surface. That's just his clothes. Damian can almost smell the warmth of his skin underneath all that.

It's wonderful. Damian tries not to think about it. He fails.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Colin jumps as someone else comes out onto the balcony. He was really getting into the breathing-along-with-the-water thing, he totally forgot there were other people here. The other boy--he can't be older than Colin, but he /can't/ be an orphan, his clothes are far too nice and he looks clean and his hair is neat--is leaning against the balustrade.

If Colin was radiating zen, then this boy is radiating go away go away go away. Something's really getting to him. Colin wants to... help him. Somehow.

"Hello," he ventures.

(Balustrade is a word that doesn't get used often enough.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:00 am

Damian sighs again. Of course the boy talked to him. Can't stay hidden away like he was. But - Damian can't bring himself to get too mad. He zeroes in on the boys voice, this shy of zoning before he catches himself. He digs his fingernails into the palms of his hands to prevent anything from happening.

That's - worrying.

"Hello," he says, turning to look at the boy.

(Agreed. Also kind of sounds like a character from a Gaiman novel.)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:04 am

Colin gets hit with a wave of irritation and anger from that sigh, and he shrinks back. He doesn't know how he knows, but he knows that this boy is totally and definitely not looking for someone to make things better right now and Colin should've just paid attention to the go away go away and gone away.

"Hi. I'm--really, I'm sorry," he says quickly. "I thought you might want to talk to someone but I'll just go." He backs away down the steps that lead into the garden.

(TOO LATE GAIMAN I'M CALLING IT)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 am

"Don't," Damian says, turning around before he can stop himself. He doesn't want the boy to think he has to talk to him, but he doesn't want the boy to go. Damian's nostrils flare slightly, scenting the air subtly. There's something about the boy. Damian stands stiffly, then, realising that he has nowhere to go now that he's asked the boy to stay.

He looks away, to the side, thinking. "Your name?"

(YES GET IN THERE)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:13 am

Colin stops on the third step, his heart rising into his throat. He sort of really really didn't want to go. He's glad the other boy told him to stop. Colin likes people and they generally like him, he wants to try and help this boy feel better, if he can.

"Colin," he says. "I'm Colin Wilkes. What's your name?"

(moooahahaaha
also I am sleeping at the half hour)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:17 am

"Damian," he replies, instantly not wanting to let the boy - Wilkes. No, Colin. He doesn't seem to suit having only a surname to his face - know who his father is. He cocks his head, settling on a decision. "You're a Guide, yes?"

(siiigh okaaaay I suppose I should probably write. Everything I've been doing is disjointed and crap and I am on the third chapter of yours and it's SO MUCH FUN but I keep getting annoyed at myself because I'm so easily distracted out of nowhere, sigh)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am

Colin tilts his head. "I'm a what? Sorry?"

(WRITING oh crap I knew I forgot something
well it's too damn late now and I'm too damn tired)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:30 am

Damian steps back, leaning into the stone and giving him something other than Colin to focus on. "Nothing," he says quickly, recognising the honest confusion in Colin's voice. "Nothing, I was mistaken." Though he knows he wasn't. He nearly zoned on Colin's voice alone, he hasn't yelled at him, and since he asked Colin to stay he's felt - better, for lack of a better word. Calmer.

And, now that he thinks about it, he doesn't want Colin to leave.

Damian knows the signs well enough. It kind of makes his chest tighten, though, knowing now that Colin doesn't know what - who - he is.

(writiiiiiiiiiiing but sleep it's such a hard choice but not really)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:33 am

Colin comes back up the steps slowly. Unconsciously, he spreads his hands out in front of him, like he's showing Damian--that's a nice name--that he's not dangerous. "What's a--what you said. What's a Guide?"

(it's really not a hard choice at all
okay, next sweep and I'm gone)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 am

"Nothing," Damian says quietly, scowling at the ground. If he looks away from Colin then it might be easier to disguise his disappointment. "Are you here with an orphanage?" He changes the subject, badly. Of course Colin's from an orphanage, that's not really what Damian is asking. Truthfully, he wants to know which one.

Maybe he could make a donation. Maybe he could get Colin out. Maybe he could be adopted, his father seems to like to doing that. Then Colin wouldn't be able to leave.

He rubs the edge of his left eye, irritated at himself.

(okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:45 am

Colin's shoulders slump a little. He was hoping to talk to someone without having to talk about that. But his orphanage is really nice, and while Colin's too old to be adopted anymore, he can at least drum up some attention for the littler kids. Damian must be here with his parents, and if his parents are here then they're interested in orphanages.

"Yeah, I'm here with St. Jude's," he says, trying to be as bubbly as always. "I'm one of the older kids, I'm really just here to make sure the little ones don't get into trouble, spill things on themselves, you know. The nuns are wonderful and they take really good care of us all, but we all have to pitch in sometimes." It's a right sales pitch these days.

He watches Damian rubbing at his eye, and he wants to say something--maybe offer to take a look and see if Damian's got an eyelash stuck in there, or something. ...okay, so maybe he wants to be a little closer to Damian. People don't become friends from five metres apart, usually.

(okay this was the last reply
GOODNIGHT
TALK TO YOU TOMORROW well later today
♥!)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:51 am

"St. Jude's," Damian says, going through his memories of Gotham's streets. "That's the little one just down by the Narrows, isn't it? I'm glad you came." He clears his throat, standing stiffer at the slip. "The orphanage, I mean. Though I suppose you wish you hadn't. How boring it must be to be stuck looking after little ones. No wonder you left to come out here."

(GOODNIIIIIIIGHT SLEEP GOOD I will see you later~ <333)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 pm

"No, no, it's not boring at all," Colin tries to assure him. "Really, it's nice, it's like I have a dozen little brothers. It's really nice," he says again, but, well, sometimes it's not all that nice, and some of that might ring through in his voice. He hurries on. "I came out here just 'cause I needed some air. There's so many people inside! Sometimes I get a bit freaked out in crowds."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 pm

"Why?" Damian asks simply. He knows that Guides don't handle crowds well - which is fair. Most Sentinels don't either. But he would like to know Colin's reasoning. He wants to know if he's wrong about him.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 am

"I'm not sure," Colin says honestly. "I just get really emotional--really worked up. Nervous or angry or way too excited." He scratches the back of his head. "Sometimes all at once. People overload, I guess." He laughs a little.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 am

Damian's stomach drops. He's right, then. Now he has to worry about how to get Colin to understand why he feels like that.
He gestures lazily to the balcony. "You should stay out here with me," he suggests. "I don't promise not to overload you, but I'll try not to."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:57 am

"Really?" Colin breathes, kind of awed. "You'd be okay with that? I mean, it didn't really seem like you wanted company, before," he says, trying to give Damian a way to back out of his generous offer if he wants.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 am

"I didn't," Damian shrugs, speaking honestly. "But I changed my mind. Is there a problem?"
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:09 am

"Not at all," Colin assures him. He's quietly pleased; somehow he knows Damian's telling him the truth, like a sixth sense kind of thing. "I don't think one person can overload me," he adds. "I like talking to people."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 am

Damian turns to look over the balcony again, this time gesturing Colin to get close - though he's half worried about it. What if Damian's right and he ends up losing it right then and there? What if his zoning scares Colin away? But he needs to be closer.

Damian sighs at himself. "I don't see how anyone would enjoy being around people. They're loud and smelly and obnoxious," he states, lip curling a little. "Individuals are different," he adds, almost hastily, in case he insults Colin and he leaves.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Colin comes to stand with Damian at the balustrade. He's having the weirdest urge to lean into Damian--to touch him, even. Colin gets these urges sometimes, like when someone needs comforting, when he sees them upset or hurt. Damian doesn't seem at all upset to him.

He relaxes a bit when Damian clarifies that individuals are different. "I'm glad you don't think I'm smelly," he says, shy but smiling. "Or loud or obnoxious. But smelly's the main one. I had a bath this afternoon and everything."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 am

"I know," Damian says without thinking. He freezes, trying to figure out how he can backtrack. "By which I mean, you smell like soap. Not bad, like most of the others." He doesn't think that's helped in the slightest.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 am

Colin is a little startled. "You can smell my soap?" He lifts his forearm to his nose and sniffs. "/I/ can't even smell my soap."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 am

"I have a good sense of smell," Damian mumbles, looking away. He shouldn't have said anything, but it looks like Colin is either too kind to say anything or too stupid to pick up on it. He frowns at himself, and takes back the thought he has about Colin being stupid. He feels sick just thinking bad thoughts about Colin.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am

"Must be as good as a Sentinel," Colin smiles. He's never met a Sentinel--he half doesn't believe they exist. If they did, how could such people stand to live in a city? So much noise and so many smells. And no Sentinel, if they are real, would ever come down to the Narrows. Sentinels are too important for the likes of Colin.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 am

"Mm," Damian says, thoroughly non-committal. He glances behind them. "Well. ...what do you think about Sentinels?"
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 am

"I've never met one," Colin says honestly. "I'm sure they're great people. It must be hard for them, living with senses like that. I can't imagine it. They must be a lot stronger than me to handle it," he adds thoughtfully. "God would have made them strong."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 am

Damian raises an eyebrow, but says nothing about the God comment. He doesn't want to start a fight. He sighs. If there's ever a sign that he's already screwed, it's that he doesn't want to start a fight.

But he can't keep quiet about /everything/. "My father is a Sentinel," he says, looking at Colin sideways to gauge his reaction. He's basically telling Colin he's a Sentinel - in his mind, at least.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 am

Colin's eyes widen. He doesn't make the genetic inheritance leap, but he does think Damian must be really special. "Wow, really? What's it like? Do you guys live out in the forest or something?" He doesn't mean to sound insensitive at all, he's just really curious.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 am

Damian smiles lopsidedly, nearly a smirk. He likes Colin's reaction. He can't put his finger on why exactly, but he likes it. ...mostly he just likes the sound of Colin's voice, wants him to keep talking. He digs his fingers into his palms, hidden from Colin's sight, to keep his center. "No, we do not live in the forest. We live - just outside the city. The sounds would otherwise get too much, I think."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am

Colin nods. "I thought so. Hey, hey--is that why your sense of smell is so good? Because your father's a Sentinel? Is it a genetic thing? I'm sorry, I don't know very much about Sentinels," he adds.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm

"My sense of smell is so good because of my father, yes," Damian says slowly, lifting a shoulder in a kind of shrug. "But my mother is also a Sentinel, so she is as much to blame." He doesn't know if he wants to stare at Colin or look away so he doesn't seem odd, but his eyes keep getting drawn to him. "It is genetic. I am a Sentinel, like them."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 pm

"You are?" Colin breathes. "Oh, man, no wonder you could smell my soap. Wow, is it--what's it like? Are you, like, the Gotham City Sentinel? Your family, I mean. Or are you just visiting, or what?"
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 am

"My father--" Damian begins, gesturing vaguely to the room behind them again. But he finds he still doesn't want to tell Colin /who/ his father is, and changes the subject. He looks at Colin curiously. "How do you know that I'm not lying?"
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am

Colin looks blank for a moment. Then he shrugs. "I just know. You seem like you're being honest, to me. /Are/ you lying?" Colin frowns, because this wouldn't fit with what he--feels.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 am

"No," Damian says simply, kind of quietly amused. "I just wanted to know how you knew. Most people wouldn't believe me - until they met my father." Damian curses himself. He can't really get away from the subject of his father. Though, to be fair, Bruce is the most important person in his life. Was the most important person in his life. He takes a breath, meaning to get as much of Colin's scent as possible. "It's pleasant that you believe me. My thanks."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 am

Colin gets a wave of irritation at the mention of Damian's father--which is weird, because he's never met Damian's father. Before he knows what he's doing, he's reaching out to take hold of Damian's hand as it lay on the balustrade. "You're welcome."

(I'm trying to work 'balustrade' into my posts every day, ehehehe)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 am

Damian wavers - physically. He sways slightly and freezes, an attempt to keep himself from launching at Colin. He tries to speak, but he's working so hard to keep from either attacking Colin or zoning that it comes out as intelligible, mumbled grunts.

Well. That's embarrassing.

(yesss it's a damn fine word. Damn fine. Hell of a catch.)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 am

Colin picks up on every second of Damian's war with himself, and it freaks him out--because /he's/ not feeling that, the struggle for control over desperation and need, but from the look on Damian's face, /Damian/ is. "Are you--you're not okay," Colin says. "How can I help you? What's wrong? Tell me."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

Damian shakes his head - mostly because he doesn't trust his voice in the slightest right now. His head swims and he's worried that if he doesn't get away then a lot of things will happen at once; he'll zone, Colin will panic, a scene will be caused and it'll cost his father the night, Damian will be in trouble /and/ he'll be without a Guide.

He's a worst-case-scenario kind of kid. Comes with the genetics.

So he pulls away from Colin's - honestly soothing - touch and steps away. "Nnn. I have - I must go, I will -" he turns away, jerkily, voice already husky. He walks forward, hating the distance and /hating/ the crowd ahead of him. "I'll try to find you again."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 am

Damian sounds like he's about to /cry/. Colin knows that kind of speech really well--he hears it all the time from kids at the orphanage, kids who cry themselves to sleep. He's heard it in himself.

Colin immediately goes after Damian. "No, don't leave--please," he says. "Please, I don't want you to go," he adds, without really knowing why. It's true, it's nothing but the truth, he can't stand the thought of being alone without Damian all of a sudden and it scares him.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next