[Circus] Recruitment Day

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Circus] Recruitment Day

Post by nocturnalie on Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 am

Jerel has had it up to /here/ with the smarmy assholes at the hospital. He may, one day, go back to finish his internship and residency and be a doctor, but for now, he fucking well needs something else to prove that all the world isn't as insane as it is inside a hospital.

So he takes a few weeks off from the hospital to evaluate his entire life.

And he ends up going to auditions for circus school.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Re: [Circus] Recruitment Day

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 am

(H'okay. Is this the circus AU that we had going a while ago or is this a new way to fall for Dickie or both? XD)
sinistra_blache
RESIDENT VILLAIN SYMPATHISER

Character sheet
Name: Mitz Stillhaven
Class: Engineer

http://filibuster-vigilantly.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 pm

(I don't think that circus AU ever got going? But this is a new way to fall for Dickie. Very Happy!)

Jerel's one of about thirty possible recruits on the mats. They're waiting for the instructors. Jerel's not sure why he's doing this, or even if he wants to, but hey, he was pretty athletic at school. He should be able to do this. And it's something completely, completely different from interning at the hospital.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue May 14, 2013 9:37 am

Dick wasn't really in touch with the circus at all for a long time. Then old Haly died and inexplicably left the whole business to him, said that he was the last of one of the greatest circus families ever and it was only right.

A lot of the old crowd didn't really agree with Haly's decision, though. Dick didn't think it was fair either, if he was being honest. Mostly he just helped them get funds together and went over itineraries when they sent them to him. He wasn't part of the 'family' any more, so he stayed out of it.

But then he was asked to be some kind of instructor for a circus school and, since he was trying to stay away from Bruce for now, it sounded like a good shot.
He was a little nervous about being in charge of things, though. Hadn't been in charge for a while now. It was damned nice to see the bunch of hopefuls on the mat, though.

A school for circus training. Now Dick has heard it all.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 am

The instructor walks in, and hot /damn/, the guy is fit in all senses of the word. Whipcord lean, muscled, and that face--how the hell was Jerel supposed to concentrate with that around?
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 am

Dick smiles at everyone and then sits at the table. He's meant to just wait for the rest of the instructors to come in so they can asses the group - but it feels weird to just sit there smiling at these people. Some of them are his age, for fuck's sake.

"Hey," he says steadily. "How's everyone feeling today?"
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 am

A couple of the girls titter, but most of them are pretty normal, and they and the other guys give varying responses of good health. Jerel decides to break up the monotony. "Bit nervous," he calls out. "Wondering what I got myself into."

The others laugh and some agree, which is nice.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 am

Dick cranes his head to see the voice who called out and grins. "Yeah, but that's good," he says. "I've done shows and - other crazy stuff since I was about four. Let me tell you about never /not/ being nervous. You'll get to like it." He pauses, shrugs. "A little anyway. So, everyone's all got their routines figured out? I'm going to be checking gymnastic ability and movement."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 am

Pretty much everyone's nodding. Jerel has a moment of panic. He's got a lot of basic ideas--mostly from watching YouTube. But nothing that could be called a routine. He can do cartwheels and handstands. He cannot for the life of him do a flip. He's here to learn. "What if it's really basic?"
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Dick strains again and gets frustrated at being stuck behind a table. He gets up and hops it, landing to stand in front and lean on the thing. He picks out the face to go with the voice. Good build, great face--posture is a little off, but that's probably nerves.

"I'm not going to flip out if someone's not a whizz straight away," he explains, to the guy's face but generally addressing the room. "This is a school, right? You can't know everything going in. Otherwise what's the point in me being here?"

Someone yells "Moral support, handsome!" from the back and Dick smiles and ducks his head modestly.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue May 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Jerel tries to relax a little. So maybe he'll sit back and watch a couple of the others' routines, see how complex they get and how long they go for, and then string together something simple of his own. He can tumble and cartwheel. He can work something out.

He cannot deny that, yowza, the instructor leaping the table like that, and now leaning against it, showcasing his fine body--damn. "Distraction," he contributes, with a sly grin.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Dick is aware that he's good looking. You don't spend as long in the public eye as he does without knowing that. But he has managed to maintain a humble attitude to it. He smiles at the worried guy, even admires the grin he flashes Dick, then shakes his head. "Gee, guys," he says easily. "Way to make me feel necessary to your education here."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue May 14, 2013 1:54 pm

The recruits laugh, and a sense of relaxation ripples through the room. Jerel stretches his legs out in front of him, pointing his toes. Ostensibly he's stretching, but really, he's sort of mimicking the instructor's pose.

He really can't help the way he drags his gaze down Dick's body.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 am

Dick feels a little better as the crowd relaxes. That's more like it. No-one likes to be tested under duress--he should know that more than most. He opens his mouth to say something else, glancing at the guy who wouldn't stop talking and catching the look (it's not unwelcome but it's awkward, since he's an instructor), but then three more instructors talk in and start shuffling around to get to their seats.

Dick looks at the crowd before he sits down with the rest (he walked around the table this time). "Good luck."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Jerel reluctantly tears his eyes away from the hot instructor and puts his mind to the task at hand. The lead instructor talks about how this is a qualifying course--if they do really well here, they're invited to attend the more regular sessions, and even do spots and tours with the circus itself, or their sister circuses.

He's pretty excited. Jerel's always been an attention whore, and a fitness freak. This'll serve to combine both of those, scratch the itches in the way the hospital never could.

Then he watches some of the career gymnasts stretching way more than he ever could, and the first couple of their demonstrative routines are well beyond the call of duty. He's wondering if he can beg leave to go to the bathroom and never come back when, abruptly, it's his turn.

This'll probably ruin his chances with that hot instructor. Ah, well.

Jerel walks on his hands, and throws himself into twelve cartwheels in a tight, tight circle, and tumbles, and finishes--what the hell--with a breakdance move, spinning on his head in the middle of the mat.

His one claim to fame is that after all that, he doesn't stumble as he flourishes a bow and slinks back to his seat.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu May 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Dick'd been looking forward to this one's routine, actually. Knowing that it wasn't going to be on the high-end of the training scale, it meant that teaching this guy would actually be fun. He wouldn't be talking to people who already know what they're doing. There was a lot of folk like that here.

He goes through it and Dick smiles. He writes 'serious potential' on a piece of paper, meant to be seen by the other instructors at the table. Then Jerel's done - and Dick doesn't quite know where that name comes from when he hears it called out but he likes it - Dick throws him a thumbs up as well when he catches his eye.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Jerel sits up a little straighter, grins a bit bigger, after the thumbs up, even given the commiserating looks some of the other candidates shot him. If one of the instructors (the hot one the hot one the hot one, his brain chants, because Jerel's got a one track mind most of the time) thinks he's any good, maybe the others will give him a shot, too.

After the routines, they get to have a break for water, and then get split into groups with the instructors, to test out skills and have a play with the equipment and get to know the instructors.

Jerel makes a point to sidle into the group with the hot instructor.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Fri May 17, 2013 12:54 am

Dick waits until everyone's stopped shifting around the room and everyone's in their groups, then motions for his group to follow him out into a separate room.

"Hey," he says, looking over his shoulder at them. "Did I even introduce myself? Well, that should be lesson one, I guess. If you're going to be taking part in anything in front of people, let them know who you are. My name is Dick Grayson, and I've heard all the jokes about my name." He opens the door for the group when they get to the room. "And apparently I really suck at following my own rules, so get used to that. I'm going to quickly go through everyone else's names and then I'll lay out what I do, where your levels are and what we can /all/ do to help each other progress."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 am

When it gets to Jerel's turn, he nearly stumbles over what he's going to say. He usually plans, but he's just so distracted checking the guy--Dick, his name's Dick--out. Not often he gets a punch to the gut like this, a real pull of want. Such a shame that Dick's an instructor and not another student. Fraternisation's probably against all the rules.

But Dick said himself, he has trouble following his own rules. Jerel might try pushing his luck with the flirting then. Everyone likes a bit of flirting, flirting's fun.

So he grins at Dick, and says, "I'm Jerel, and as you may've noticed, I'm a beginner. In all kinds of things. I might need a lot of help."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat May 18, 2013 1:44 am

Dick snaps his fingers at Jerel, remembering his thought when he was watching Jerel's routine. "Jerel. Where the hell does that name come from, I've never heard it before," he says. He tried to ask everyone something about themselves when they told everyone their names. It's a way to get people to remember each other, break the ice. A lot of things. ...and he really is curious.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 am

Jerel laughs. "It's a really stupid story. Uh, my real name's Jeremiah, but my mother calls me that, and we--don't get along, to put it lightly. When he was a kid, my little brother couldn't say it, anyway. So he called me Jerel. Jeremiah Elliot."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat May 18, 2013 2:04 am

"That's freaking adorable," Dick says honestly. He has a soft spot for both dysfunctional families and little brother stories. "And, hey, on the subject of you being a beginner? We all were, once. And the really important thing about being in /any/ circus, school or otherwise, is that you're a family. It's not a competition. It's not a race. You help each other." He looks around the class. "At least when I'm watching," he cracks a smile, then talks to Jerel again. "You won't be a beginner for long. Promise."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat May 18, 2013 2:07 am

"I'll remember that promise," Jerel says, with a bit of a sly look. "So--what are you going to be teaching us?" he asks, once all the introductions are through.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 am

Dick goes to lean against the table in the room again. "Today? Breathing. The one thing that I noticed about every single one of you, including the more experienced out there, is that your breathing is off. After that, some stretching and then I'll be able to really begin planning out classes for you guys. Later in the week we'll talk about one-on-ones."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Jerel likes the sound of some one-on-one, hah. But he's gotta turn off his slutty brain as they settle down into breathing, everyone sprawling out on the mats and closing their eyes and listening to Dick's voice.

Damn. Dick has a great voice. All mellow and amused and Jerel can't help but flick his eyes open and check him out, even if they are supposed to be concentrating on the breathing.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 am

Halfway through the class/meditation, Dick starts talking to them instead of speaking at them. He can't help it.

"Welcome the easiest part of what we do here," he grins. "Well. Some would say the easiest. Definitely the most calming. Your breathing has got to be the most important thing, too. It'll calm you down and centre you and remind you where you are. I took one hell of a deep breath - bigger than the one I would take if I were flying without a net - today. First day of school, huh." He walks around everyone while he talks, and he catches Jerel looking. He's not sure what to do about that, so he just points gently to get him to close his eyes again.

The attention Jerel's giving him isn't lost on him. ...he likes it.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Jerel makes sure to grin at Dick before he closes his eyes again. It's pretty easy to slip into meditative breathing. He does it before any surgery.

If Dick wants to look at him, that'd be totally okay with Jerel. He's probably not looking his best today, in his workout clothes, but maybe it makes him look more athletic, more fit, in the way scrubs never would. Maybe that's more appealing to an acrobat.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 am

Dick doesn't mind looking at Jerel at all. But it's not allowed. And he probably shouldn't be considering it at all. ...he should at least help Jerel progress in the course before making a move, before he has to suggest Jerel move to another instructor. That's a reasonable way to get to date him.

Dick thinks.

Not that he's thinking of dating a student he barely knows.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed May 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Oh no, of course not, Dick would never think of doing that. He's so very noble like that. Wouldn't dream of asking Jerel to stay behind after class...

After the meditation, I would imagine they'd move on to stretching. I wonder if Jerel will be able to achieve the depth of stretching that Dick is looking for, or if Dick will have to help him out?
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 am

He would be making the rounds, helping people. If he happened to make his way to Jerel then that's hardly his fault now is it.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Absolutely not. After all, Jerel is one of those most in need of assistance. He's just not as flexible as the others, having trouble getting the kind of stretch that he's aiming for--his nose to his knee, for example.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:13 pm

It'll take a lot of Dick standing over him and slowly bringing Jerel's knee down while he talks him through that - and other things, if we're honest. Dick'll talk about anything to take someone's mind off the muscle burn. Or inappropriate flirting.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:15 pm

The best kind of flirting, in Jerel's opinion. He won't think twice about wondering, "So you must be much more flexible than this?"
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:26 pm

"I make a living from being a hell of a lot more flexible than this," Dick smiles, half teasing. "But you'll get there. It isn't actually all that hard, and you're not made of oak." Do not make a wood joke. Don't talk about erections. Dick Grayson is a juvenile dork.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 pm

"Not all of me, anyway," Jerel snerks.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:49 am

Dick gives Jerel a Look, amused and chastising, then goes back to pushing gently on Jerel's legs. "You know, it won't be all that long until you'll be limber enough to do some of the harder things," he says. "Give you two weeks, maybe you'll be up for a splits." He probably won't be. Those things are /hard/.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 am

"A banana split, maybe," Jerel laughs. He pushes down as far as he can, and in a little bomb, manages to touch his nose to his knee as it lay flat on the floor.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:52 am

Dick lets him go and lets him rest, but he's grinning. "See, you got it done," he says, pretty damned pleased with himself and Jerel. "You got this, I think. How are you feeling?"
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 am

"Stretched out," Jerel laughs. "Bit wobbly." He wiggles around, flexing his legs up and down. "But damn accomplished. Is that stupid? I only put my nose to my knee!"
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 am

Dick snorts. "That's a pretty big deal," he says. "It's a deep stretch." He could have put that a better way. Buuut he didn't. Dick is trying to feel worse than he is.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Jerel smirks at him. "Yeah, I could definitely feel it."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Dick mirrors Jerel's expression, looking at him in silence for a little while longer than he should, then stands up. "Well, I should," he says, thinking about what he should be doing. Nothing comes to him for a second. "...stretches. Walk the room. You should breath after that, though. Maybe get some water. Take it slow."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Jerel salutes him. He's sure of it, now--he can definitely detect the prickle of reciprocated attraction. Now he's wanting to plan how to get Dick alone somewhere. "Can do, boss."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Dick laughs. 'Boss' is what he calls Bruce. It's bizarre to have it thrown on him instead. "Gold star," he says, and walks off to help someone else - thought probably not half as intently.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm

What do you think they'd do after the stretching? Some tumbling, maybe? Basic stuff like that? Or would they do some one on one assessments?
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next