[Pernverse] Teaching Snooze

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Pernverse] Teaching Snooze

Post by freosan on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Life at the Weyr isn't as different from life at Healer Hall as Selly would have hoped. She's still constantly doing chores, running errands, and stirring huge pots over the fire pits. It's nice that the pots smell like food instead of numbweed salve, but it doesn't make things entirely better. And she can't leave the Weyr; she's actually, by the sums, more restricted here, given that at the Hall she had free range from Fort Hold to Fort Weyr, but at Benden she can't go outside the craters that make up the Weyr itself.

Thankfully, these annoyances, these ways in which reality doesn't yet match up to her dreams, are offset by other facts. Firstly she no longer has to care what her father will think. She can speak to any and all of the people in the Weyr - Holdborn or Weyrborn or, of all things, Holdless - of anything she wishes, and if she wants to flirt with a pretty dragonrider or three, there's no one to go carrying tales. Secondly, she no longer has to teach anyone anything.

Or at least, that's what she thinks until J'mitz asks her a favor.

He looks so nervous and so upset that she says yes immediately, and then can't take it back. He's not wrong that someone does have to teach the Holdless man (Snooze, what a name) if he is to stand for a dragon. J'mitz would certainly teach him, but he has important, riderly duties - he has yet to tell Selly what these are, but she knows she'll find out in a few weeks -  and cannot spare the time it will take. And Selly has always been a good instructor.

She hopes that Snooze is as good of a student, and they can get this over with quickly. She doesn't know how long the Weyrwoman will let her use the teaching room for just one student, or how long she herself can spare from her lessons and duties around the Weyr. But, for now, she smooths out the sand on the sand table, runs through teaching songs in her head, and waits for J'mitz to bring Snooze to her.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Re: [Pernverse] Teaching Snooze

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Mitz--J'mitz, Snooze must call him J'mitz in front of other people, it is much more respectful and polite--leaves Snooze in the hall outside the teaching room. He has important duties. Something from D'tor, so it is honestly important. It isn't simply J'mitz trying to get Snooze out of his hair. He leaves Snooze with a smile and a wave and a 'you'll be fine'. He seems confident.

Snooze takes a deep breath to calm himself. He wishes he were as confident.

He stands in the open archway. The girl--young woman--in the room is one he remembers from somewhere. The food halls, perhaps. She and J'mitz have often shared a smile and a word. Selly. The Masterhealer's daughter, floats through his mind, though he barely knows what that means--he's simply heard J'mitz say it in almost reverent tones.

"Good morning," he says, to announce his presence.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:37 am

Selly looks up, and it takes her a moment to smile in greeting, but when she does, it's genuine. "Come in!" she calls out. "You can sit over here. It's just us, so I thought we could use the sand table instead of setting up the whole hall."

She has an attitude she uses for teaching, and she's slipped into it now; friendly, but firm, with confidence enough to prevent her students from being unsure of her. She hopes it works on the Holdless man. Her students are usually much more easily impressed.

"I thought we'd start by figuring out how much you do know," she says. "Then next lesson, we can begin with what basics you're missing."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Snooze makes his way to the front of the hall, towards Selly. "It sounds like you've done this before," he says. He's edging around the question of what he does know, since he doesn't really know what he knows.

Her smile is quite reassuring. Perhaps it won't be such a problem if Snooze ends up knowing nothing.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:28 pm

"I used to teach apprentices at the Hall," Selly tells him, gesturing to the cushions set up around the low table. "Never in reading, but I'm the best you're likely to get, unless you want to join the small ones with F'ter." She shrugs a bit. "J'mitz thought you'd rather have private lessons."

(hellooooooo the Noc)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Snooze essentially slides down onto the cushions. He's rarely experienced comfort the likes of which he's had since coming to the Weyr--even these cushions, though old and dusty, are made with care and well-plumped. "He was right," Snooze agrees. "To be honest, I didn't realise it was a skill I was ever going to need in my life. I'm..." He sighs. Okay. Come on. He said 'honest'. "I'm rather embarrassed to be--erm--caught out."

(hiiiiiiiiiiiiii how youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Mouse sits down across the table from him and grabs a pair of styluses, handing one to Snooze. "It's not a skill most need," she says. "I don't know where you're from, originally, but if you're not from a Hall or a Weyr, it's not a surprise you didn't learn as a child. Only a surprise you avoided it this long."

(Snowed iiiiiiiiin how are you)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Snooze tries to work out how to hold the stick. Writing stick? Surely that's not right. "Holdless," he says, mildly. "What would I have needed to read?" He's still not sure what he'll read now, except for Mitz's letters. J'mitz. Why does he keep forgetting?

(MELTING
swap you
warning: I am already ready for bed, I may vanish abruptly if I fall asleep on the keyboard)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 pm

"You must have come from somewhere," Mouse says, shrugging. She watches him struggle for a moment and then picks up her own stylus, showing him how to move his fingers around it. "Usually, in the Hall, it's ingredient lists or records of past patients. Here, it's the Records of the Weyr, if you Impress."

(come here and play in the snow!
No worries! I gotta go get in the shower soon anyway.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Snooze carefully copies how Mouse is holding the stick. It feels unnatural in his hand, pressing firm against skin more used to a bowstring. "Why keep the records?" he asks. "What purpose will they serve even in the future? Do you refer to past records, now?"

(yes yes yesssss yes yesy es
*salute*!)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:16 pm

"We do," Mouse says. "The Weyr can trace the line of each dragon back to Faranth - it helps them to know when to send queens to other Weyrs, to help the bloodlines. When Thread's falling, the Records help figure out where and when it will fall."

She looks at the sand, and comes around to Snooze's side of the table, so she can write out the alphabet where he can see it upright. "And the name of every man and woman who ever rode a dragon is listed in the Weyr records, same as the name of everyone who was ever an apprentice is listed at Healer Hall."

(yaaaaaaay careful wear a warm coat it's fucking freezing out there.
At least I don't have to go in to work today!)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 pm

"That must be a lot of names," Snooze says. The marks she is making in the sand are similar to the ones on Mitz's letters. Each of them must mean something, he guesses, like pictures. "A very long history. I know that much." But really only since coming to the Weyr has he been aware of it. The only times he'd considered past generations was when wondering about his parents, or grandparents. Wondering if there was anyone else out there who might look like him, know him.

(oh man warm coats *longing*
HOORAAAAAAAAAAAY blankets and internets for you~)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 pm

"It is. Almost two thousand turns between us and Faranth." She's never been much of a student of history, but she's been having lessons with the Weyrwoman lately, the history of the Weyr and the keeping of the Records, all of which fall to gold riders.

Selly finishes the string of letters and looks at Snooze. "Do you recognize any of these?"

(I would blanket you but you might boil over.
Wheeeeee~ I do have to work but frankly I don't feel like putting in a lot of mental energy today. >.>
Blargh I can remember Z'tovan and T'yed but apparently not Selly instead of Mouse.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Snooze shakes his head. "I only rarely went into a Hold's market, and they all showed their wares. None seemed bothered that I paid no attention to the signs at their backs."

Two thousand turns. It's beyond comprehension, that length of time. Snooze himself is, what, fifteen or sixteen turns? He isn't even sure, himself. He wonders how many others there are like him--no knowledge or understanding of the fact that other people still know something that happened two thousand turns ago because they can interpret little symbols.

(I would definitely have boiled over despite the fact it rained last night
I know them feels, oh, all too well
Aw, it's probably just because she's so Mousey in your head. I'd feel odd calling Snooze E'tien. It's part of him, sure, but only a little part of the Grand Meta Snooze.
I totally knew I would fall asleep on the keyboard -_-)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Selly nods. She can't even imagine what that must have been like - so much of her world would be missing if she couldn't read or interpret old writings. She's known how since she was very, very small; Masterhealer Tremas insisted on it.

She can barely remember how her own lessons went, but she's seen the youngest apprentices learn enough. "Then we'll start from the very basics. This is the alphabet. Each mark is a sound. Here, I'll show you how to draw them, and we'll go over the sounds at the same time." She picks up her stylus again and slowly draws an 'A' in the sand.

(bleh heat
I did about five hours and then shoveled snow and goofed off. oh well.
Yeah, that's probably it. Exactly! And usually we can find ways to give them all their nicknames back but not in this 'verse, or not easily.
aw it's okay I am glad I got warning. how is life?)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Snooze makes a noise of understanding. "Ah, they are /sounds/. I thought perhaps each was a word, or a... a concept." He rubs his chin, thoughtfully. So these marks are individual sounds. Ugh, there are so many sounds. His cancthere be so few marks?

(Snooooooooooooooooow
Maybe Mouse's could come from some situation soon. Like another Weyrleader laughs at her and calls her little mouse and asks her if she'd like some cheese. Then she punches him.
Life is going on and on and on and on so very, very slowly. Job searching kills souls.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:02 pm

"There are some symbols like that, but mostly we use these," Selly tells him. "When they're in a list, they're always in the same order - there's a song that I'll teach you, to remember." [Pern has songs for everything, if they don't have the alphabet song I'll be sincerely disappointed. XD]

(/throws snowballs gleefully
Oh god. She'd straight up duel him if he tried that. XD Maybe she can admit it quietly to Snooze and Mitz, her childhood nickname.
oh, ew, still on that? That sucks. Anything good?)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 pm

"A song," Snooze repeats. "All right. That should make it easier," he agrees. But he sounds doubtful. He knows some songs--for recognising wild animals, herbs, and Holds, mostly. Basic children's songs. He's heard singing in the Weyr but rarely joined in, just listening instead.

(/glories in the coldsplosions
Tiny little creeper!Mouse! Tremas might have called her Mouse because she kept sneaking in on his meetings to sit silently next to him all the time.
Still on that, yeah. Mandatory four day attendance programming thing. Today is the last day, then I can get on a less intense schedule, thankfully. I'm more interested in doing training courses, tbh. But I handed out like twelve resumes yesterday? So we'll see.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 pm

"So say the Harpers, though I guess they would, wouldn't they?" Selly looks down at the sand table, gesturing to the letter she's drawn. "Would you draw that? That's 'A'. As in dragon."

(She just wanted to know things~ I know she used to sneak around so she could see what Tremas and the Weyrleader were up to.
That's good. Both the less intense and the twelve resumes. There's got to be something good out there.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:20 am

Snooze fiddles with the stick in his hand for a moment, then bends and copies the mark--thankfully it's mostly simple. He repeats, obediently, "A, as in dragon." (Haha she's going to have to explain somehow that 'ah' and 'ay' are both 'A'. HAVE FUN)

(Cough cough hopefully those two learned to lock doors
please please I even gave in resumes for management jobs /terror)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:17 pm

"Good. Next up..." Mouse leads Snooze through the whole alphabet, showing him the marks and giving him the first examples that come to mind. She's not too worried about him remembering all of them right at once. The first thing is familiarity. (I'm just gonna... do that, since wow that would take forever.)(She's going to be flailing a lot I think. She doesn't actually know how to teach anything but herbcraft and medicine making.)

(I don't think the Pernese actually go in much for doors, it's all curtains and stuff on most sleeping places.
omg you could be in charge of people)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Snooze tries to follow along as best as he can, but really, he remembers maybe only the first and last couple of marks--/letters/--and he struggles with drawing the more complex ones, like 'g' and 'e'. He tries not to show his panic at how stupid he must seem. (At least those would involve some writing, like writing labels and records and stuff. That's a start. And if there's anything that can be said about Mouse, it's that she knows how to be confident and fake confidence.)

(Well hopefully they developed good hearing for the pitter-patter of tiny feet, snicker
ABJECT TERROR)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:28 pm

"Okay. That's all of them, promise," Selly says, once she finishes off the Z. "It probably doesn't make a lot of sense yet, but it will. I'm going to teach you the song, and then you can write them out again - sound good? I think that'll help you practice."
Snooze doesn't seem to be getting it. She doesn't expect him to, right away, because even the very small children don't, but she doesn't know if it's because this is hard, or because she's teaching wrongly. It's not like she'd have any way to know.
(She will definitely fake it 'til she makes it! It helps that she isn't really worried about impressing Snooze.)

(I bet they had to. Ahaha no wonder Selly isn't bothered by "Weyrbred licentiousness", like a lot of Holdbred folk are. Her own father was like that~
dear gods I feel you there.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:33 pm

"Practice sounds like a good idea," Snooze says after a moment. "It--it's all right if it does not make much sense yet?"
For Snooze, it would probably be hard because he's never had any kind of formal learning. He's learned how to use weapons, for hunting and defence, but that's all physical training--muscle learning. This is engaging his mind, as well. Memorisation is not something he's had to work at very often.
(She can be ~relaxed~ around him, aw. I wonder if she'll get more stiff around him once he impresses a bronze.)

(He just wanted company. All people just want company. Selly understands that. Awww.
people are /scary/)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Selly nods. "Yes. I wouldn't expect anyone to understand it all at once. I still learn how to spell new words, and I've been reading since I was very small."
(Probably. Well, gradually. First they're all weyrlings together learning how to deal with their rapidly-growing, always-eating dragons, then Otheth starts to mature, they all move into their own places, Selly is learning how to lead a Weyr and E'tien [did I spell that right ._.] is learning to lead a wing, relationships with bronzeriders get... different.)

(She understands that love takes many forms. Even sometimes very odd ones.
I knowwwww shh huddle under this blanket with me. I have wine. and brownies.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:44 pm

E'tien suppresses a sigh of relief. "So this is a skill acquired over a lifetime. All right. That makes it more... manageable."
(There's always the undercurrent of 'is it going to be you I wake up to', heh.)

(Which will come in handy when she develops an odd threesome with her bronzerider and her bluerider.
you are the best oh yes om nom nom here share my m&ms)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:51 pm

"Yes. You don't have to be reading the Records tomorrow. The place to start is the alphabet, and then take it from there." Selly pauses, looking at the marked-up sand. "Would you like to learn to spell your name?"
(eeeexactly. The dragon may have preferences, which are influenced by the riders' wants, but you never really /know/ until it happens, and you do have to make a choice.)

(Indeed it will! Oh, their dragons are going to be so confused.
oh thank you don't mind if I do /noms)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 pm

He looks up at her. "I--I would like to know what it looks like, yes." And actually he still would be Snooze, wouldn't he. He's not E'tien until he Impresses. Until Zeroth goes all 'ahah I know your name like you know mine aren't I awesome'.
(What kind of choice?)

(Sin is pretty sure Lirth doesn't like-like bronzes, heh, but Zeroth thinks Lirth and Otheth are both wonderful, and responds well enough to most dragons who don't try to challenge him. He doesn't like to be alone. He gets that from Snooze, not that Snooze would ever admit it, snicker.
pleasure)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Selly picks up her stylus again and smooths out a bit of sand in front of Snooze. "All right. The first letter, I would lay odds you can guess. Remember the hissing snake?"
Yep! He's very secretive about the whole thing until then. (So cute, btw.)

(Well, dragons only mate when the female's in heat? So I don't know how the whole gay dragon thing would work. But they do form very close pair-bonds, so I guess you could say Zeroth is biromantic, heh.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Snooze quickly bends and draws the 's'--first backwards, then the right way. "'S'," he says, triumphantly.
Probably because he's barely sure of it, himself. It would seem more like a dream.

(Heh, sounds about right. 'This dragon is mine and this dragon is mine hssssssss go away' except when Lirth or Otheth are like 'excuse me we are our own dragons thank you' and then he just mopes until one of them lets him nudge them again.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:34 pm

"Right!" Mouse says, smiling at him. She taps the stylus against her lip, thinking. "The next part's strange. Uh, maybe I should just show you?"
It was a very long time ago that anyone called him E[insertrestofname]tien, after all.

(Bronzes - and golds - can be very possessive. They will all just have to handle that.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Snooze watches her lip for a distracted moment--then snaps himself out of it, not quite sure of what happened. "If you would?"
And he probably forcefully forgot a lot of memories of his parents after they... left him? Died? Whatever happened.

(Mostly by simply not taking no for an answer when it comes to cuddling, I think, heh.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Selly writes an N and two O's after Snooze's S. "Two vowels together like this can sometimes make another sound. Like 'oo', in this case. Even though I know I just told you that's the sound U makes... sorry."
Depends which way we want to take it, I think - could be they were farmers or herders, and died. Could be they were Lord/Lady Holders at Ruatha, and were deposed and their son exiled (nice parallels with Lessa, there). Could be he was born Holdless and left when resources were scarce or his parents died. (as a tangentially related aside, I expect Holdless don't foster as much as the settled types do. In the Weyr it's almost mandatory to foster your kid, ditto among the higher classes in the Holds and Halls, but we've seen that some of the lower-class fisherfolk don't foster.)

(Yep. It'll be hard to find a place where three dragons can pile on each other and snuggle, but they will find one, and it will be theirs, because nobody's going to argue with the queen.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Snooze looks at the marks for a long moment, then gives Selly a very long-suffering look. "If it is the same sound as the U, then why not use the U mark--letter? Why is it two Os?"
Well, usually his parents are criminals or bad people of some sort. Exiled sounds kind of cool. And if D'tor comes from Ruatha, it's actually possible that he's the brother of the deposed Lady or Lord. Since Tremas and Lucil are part of the nobility, it makes sense that D'tor is, too, and D'tor or J'mitz or someone could then eventually find records of the child E[whatever]tien who was exiled when his parents were deposed from Ruatha Hold.

(Damn right. Otheth will have one of the best weyrs in the craters, anyway, so as long as they're okay with breathing in each other's faces, I'm sure they can make it work.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Selly spreads her hands indicating her complete ignorance. "Someone when they were making it up decided it was the best way. Tradition," she says, wrinkling her nose.

I like, I like! D'tor definitely comes from Ruatha. Also, if we're going with Ruatha for Snooze, I vote "Elessetien", because all of the major Ruathan bloodline people have that: Lessa, Alessan, F'lessan.

(When Otheth becomes senior queen, she will make absolutely sure that her weyr is big enough for all of them. Though, really, she would like snuggling close just as much.)

Hellooooooooooooo
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Snooze scowls. "Tradition has a way of making things difficult, down the line, doesn't it. You have to wonder how it ever made things easy."

That sounds pretty and I like it. Most excellent.

(Even when they have lots of space, they probably all end up in a big scaly warm pile.)

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii this was a bit of a surprise
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:57 pm

"There are reasons for some tradition," Selly says. "We have this tradition, at the Hall, of throwing a handful of redgrass on the pots of numbweed salve when they're almost done. Some people say it's good luck? But one time I forgot and none of that batch was as good as usual. So sometimes it's something like that... and sometimes you can find out what the point of it was, if someone wrote it down in a record. But sometimes it's, well." She gestures at the word. "Arbitrary."

Success! Snooze has a name! And a backstory! aw, he'd have the barest memories of a life of leisure and luxury. He's possibly an ancestor of Lessa's, with that name and bloodline!

(Upon which their riders can climb and sit and sleep in their own tangled, warm, but less scaly, pile.)

I missed you guys. How are yooooou
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 pm

"Arbitrary," Snooze echoes. "Random. Based on a whim, yes?" He sighs. "I have never been much affected by numbweed. Perhaps my supplies were of lesser quality, without redgrass."

He probably remembers too many people fussing about his food or his clothes or teaching him songs--all nannies and maids and such. Which would puzzle him, make him think it's a made up memory of what he thinks people's childhoods should be like, because surely he never even knew that many people as a child.

(depending on which clothes they're wearing or not wearing, of course)

I am okaaaaaaay currently far too warm
how are youuuuuuuuuuuu
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:10 pm

"It's possible. If you weren't getting it from Healers, they wouldn't have the tradition." Selly shrugs. "If you suffer some injury here, you'll find out, but I hope you don't. Oh!" She looks at the sand and laughs. "We never finished. Want to do the rest? There are two more letters."

But there would be dozens of people in the Lord Holder's household, especially when there was a young lordling to take care of.

Dragons are supposed to be very soft and smooth. Perfect for cuddling on/with.

Oh dear. ::throws snow at you:: We have a lot of it, here, take some.
I am sadly sleeping now. But I am glad I caught you!
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:17 pm

"How many are there all together?" Snooze enquires, looking at all of the marks they've made and rubbed away. "At least I know my numbers," he mumbles, mostly to himself.

So all of it would be a true memory. But he thinks he made it up, wishful thinking style, when he was stuck out in exile with just, like, himself and his parents if they weren't executed and maybe a couple of his parents' most loyal friends. And then he ends up alone, probably after a bandit attack.

Snooze will be /very/ excited by that. Privately. He and Zeroth will spend so much time lazily curled around each other. Snooze has been so lonely.

yessssssssss yes come to me snow I will take you allllllll
oh man you have developed the ability to type while sleeping?! jealousssss
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm

"Six, in your name. A few more than it needs, but, well, tradition." Selly hands him back the stylus. "And yes, I'm glad you know your numbers. I wouldn't know where to start with those."

Bandit attack, almost certainly. Pern doesn't go in for execution, though his father could have died in a duel. Ugh, poor Snooze. And then he'd be in with a pretty rough crowd, if he were lucky enough to be picked up by a group at all.

Zeroth is all his and will do anything for him, but especially laze around and snuggle.

it is barely twitches of my fngers I hope they make sense
I'm leaving that typo where it is
goodnight fair Noc! I must sleep for reals now! I hope you have an excellent day! <3<3
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:31 pm

(Snuz looks weird) Snooze focuses back on the sand. "And how many ma--letters are there, in total?"

That would probably make sense; once the Lord Holder was challenged and died, his wife, tiny son and most loyal supporters were put out of the Hold to avoid rebellion against the new Lord. They probably tried to travel overland to D'tor and got lost and killed on the way.

And eat and be groomed, of course.

you were doing so /well/ up until that typo too
GOODNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT it is pretty relaxing so far despite being so warm so I'm going to tentatively call it okay? GOODNIIIIIIGHT anyway SLEEP WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL &hearts;!
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:47 am

"Twenty-six," Selly says. "Not so many, right?"

D'tor would hear about the coup before they could have possibly gotten to the Weyr, since he'd have a rider assigned to bring back news from the Hold every day, but he wouldn't have time to find his family before they got killed. It's a day or two ride overland on runnerbeast, I think, but walking is a lot worse especially for a family used to traveling everywhere by dragon, with no supplies and a young son.

Of course! Got to keep those scales oiled. E'tien will have to be careful, or his dragon will get lazy and spoiled. It's a problem everyone has.

It's like my superpower, being coherent even when extremely tired and/or inebriated.
That is good! Hiiiiiiiiiii again what is up with you today, I am supposed to be writing
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:48 am

"And then they can combine in... so many different ways." Snooze puts his palm to his forehead, and rubs one eye. "This is going to take some time, isn't it."

Even if at first they could travel from farm to farm, eventually they'd be out in the middle of nowhere--thickly wooded nowhere, or rocky nowhere, or endless rolling hills nowhere. Dehydration sets in quickly. If they find a river, they'd be unwilling to leave it. But rivers draw carnivores and bandits, too.

He will just keep dragging Zeroth out to watch other dragons in their flight exercises. Personally he's fascinated by that as much as he is by dragons rolling over onto their backs for belly scratches.

that is a /very/ handy superpower
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I was going to be reading and writing but apparently now we are going to visit my grandparents?? how are youuuuuuuuuu
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Selly nods. "It will. Even children can take years to learn, and their minds are much quicker than ours. But everyone can learn, and you will."

There's no good way to get that far. (Ahahaha I totally lied, I just checked and Ruatha and Benden are actually two-thirds of the way across the continent from each other, and someone actually /did the math/ and a professional well-supplied army would be ~80 days if some of it were by sea. Wow. I love this fandom sometimes.)

Aw, cuties, watching the big dragons. It won't be long before Zeroth is up there himself, doing drills with the weyrling wing. They might even have J'mitz as an instructor.

it helps a lot.
Surprise grandparents? Odd. I am gooood today was a day of whining about not wanting to write. This is a quick driveby before I turn into a pumpkin again. <3<3
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top