[Snoozevamp] The Cage

Page 3 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Snoozevamp] The Cage

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Damian never really lost Colin's trust. When he came back, it was just an utter relief to Colin -- like, finally, here he is, he'll fix everything. Damian was the one who got him out of the first cage. He'd get Colin out of this one, too. Colin trusted that. ...Colin doesn't quite trust Damian with his affections anymore. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Colin breathes out, long and slow, and touches his fingers gently to Damian's wrist. "I'm okay," he says, just for Damian. Then he adds, louder, to Bruce and Tim: "It's okay if we have to go further than the gardens. I don't think I can hear much further than that, but we don't know for sure. I want this to work. I want to do this right."

Bruce nods. "Good. Then we test the hearing first, and when we find the boundaries for that, we take it a little further and test the calling." He looks at Damian, hard and firm. "This is the only way I will allow this to go any further."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:10 am

That is part of the trust that Damian misses. It's the biggest part. It's his biggest mistake, throwing that away as though it meant nothing to him although it meant the world. He never thought he would do something so childish in his life.

Damian bites down on his sarcastic reply and knows, deep down, that it's because he's conditioned to obey a certain tone of Bruce's. Thankfully neither of them have pinpointed which it is, giving him some amount of free will. "Very well, father."
sinistra_blache
RESIDENT VILLAIN SYMPATHISER

Character sheet
Name: Mitz Stillhaven
Class: Engineer

http://filibuster-vigilantly.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am

It'd serve Damian right if suddenly Colin had a crush on someone else. But that's the thing -- Colin's so attached to Damian, it's probably unhealthy. He barely takes his eyes off Damian.

Bruce inclines his head. He's no small amount of relieved that Damian and Tim have both obeyed him. Maybe he can hold this family together -- by the skin of his fingers. He takes a deep breath. "Remain here. I will bring Stephanie and Jason. They will assist us in monitoring the test." Steph will be Tim's anchor; Jason will be Bruce's eyes and ears.

He turns on his heel and heads towards the stairs.

Colin stiffens at the mention of Steph. As soon as she shows up, Damian will lose interest in Colin. Well. That's unfair. Damian won't lose interest /entirely/, but his attention will be split, and split unevenly, with the greater part being focused on Steph and what she's doing. Colin's fingers slip from Damian's shirt; he lets go.

Last edited by nocturnalie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 am

Damian looks to the floor beside Colin's feet, subtly searching for his touch again. Of course his father would mention Stephanie. That is /exactly/ what they need right now.

"This will be simple," Damian says softly, though not privately. It's a weak attempt to bring Colin back to him, promising him safety and assurance. "It will not take long. And when it is over, I will go back to sitting with you and playing games as planned."

Tim chews on his lip. It's a good thing Steph is coming along, actually, because he finds it really difficult to concentrate with Jason breathing down his neck all the time. This is going to be bad if it doesn't go /just right/ and there are so many tiny things that could go wrong.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:08 pm

"Yeah," Colin says, and he wants to believe Damian, he really does. And to Damian's credit, he's been spending a lot of time with Colin even with Steph in the house. Colin has a dark thought that maybe he has to be in a cage for Damian to pay any attention to him. But that's really awful and unfair, he tells himself, and makes himself look up at Damian again. "I'm gonna win, this time. Rainbow Road. I've been practicing."

When Bruce returns with a confused Steph and a grumbling Jason -- or maybe the other way around -- in tow, he's a bunch more annoyed and less tolerant of attitude and being talked back to and talked over. It really doesn't help that they're both so much taller than him.

"Tim, Stephanie and Colin will remain here," he announces. "Damian, Jason and I will go for a walk. Stephanie and Jason will remain in contact via text message. Everyone will be scrupulously honest," he says, sharp and brooking /no/ argument. "No /playing/ around."

so I just saw a trailer for a movie called Inside Out and holy bajeebus it looks hilarious
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:26 pm

"And I have not," Damian admits, inclining his head and looking so much like Bruce. "So it is entirely likely that you may win /fairly/ this time." He's so close to a smile when his father returns, all business and fire. He frowns, but nods at Stephanie and Todd while listening to instruction.

"Honest texting, got it," Stephanie shrugs, unsure of why she even has to be here. Everyone insists that she's of some use to all this magic bullcrap but mostly she feels like she gets in the way. But if it makes Timmy feel better, then why not. "I think we can manage that. Right, Jason?" She grins.

Tim doesn't notice but he positions himself behind Steph, getting her between him and Jason. This puts him with his back to Colin, but he isn't a threat in Tim's mind.

whaaaaaaaat is it
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Colin feels like he's in the middle of a stupid war zone. Everyone's picking sides and fronting off against each other, posturing like wild animals about to get into a tussle. And if there's anything Colin knows, it's wild animals.

The feeling only gets worse when Jason smirks. "Sure, since I'm gettin' paid for my services," he says, mostly to Bruce. "Always makes things easier. I can even do pictures and video if I have to," he adds, and this is to Steph, teasing. "You want pictures?"

Bruce scowls. He wants so badly to scold, but he knows Jason will settle down once he's got this initial burst of flirting out of his system. Jason flirts with Steph in front of Tim and Damian, both to flirt with her, and to drive Damian and Tim nuts. He's such a rabble-rouser. But so long as no one jumps down Jason's throat, Jason will settle. Should settle. Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MC3XuMvsDI it's a disney movie I think about the little creatures inside someone's head controlling what they do, the scene in the trailer is funny as hell
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:54 pm

Steph snorts. "No-one wants to see your nasty pictures, Jay," she deflects easily. Tim takes a calming breath. It's not that he wants to be with Steph again, because no, but /Jason/ of all people to take an interest in her? It was bad enough with the demon child's weird crush.

Damian actively ignores everyone but his father and Colin. It takes actual effort, and he does crack after a moment. "This is delightful," he snaps, mirroring Bruce's expression perfectly. "But there are more pressing matters to attend to."

OH WAIT I saw this trailer and yessssssss it looks great, I can't wait, it looks like a better version of the Numbskulls comic and I /loved/ that when I was a kid
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:07 pm

"Indeed." Bruce stands a couple of steps above everyone else to give the illusion of height, of authority. "Text messaging only," he says, firmly. "We are testing the range of Colin's hearing and then Damian's calling. There will be no hints." He looks at Tim and Stephanie. "You will let us know when Colin can no longer hear Damian. Then -- well, you'll know when Damian calls Colin, if it works."

Jason huffs. "Spoilsports."

I don't think I ever read that, I don't remember it. I've been waiting for a good movie to use this concept and it's a cartoon, ohhhh yes, it can be dumb as bricks now and I'll still love it.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:16 pm

"That's pretty fancy stuff, right? Impressive, D," Stephanie says to Damian after he's moved from Colin to his father's side. She's being friendly; he's kind of been ignoring her for a while.

"If it is true, then yes. It is," Damian agrees coolly, then shakes his head minutely. He doesn't know what to /do/. He only has unerringly loyal or cold detachment as responses for anyone. "Thank you, Stephanie."

Tim just nods at Bruce and presses a button to shut down the feeds to the cameras around the house and grounds. It kind of wouldn't count if Colin could just look at the screen and go there.

It was a short strip in the Beano comic, almost certainly a purely British thing that the Irish got by virtue of being nearby, heh. But YES it looks like so much fun I am on board
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Jason thinks it's freaking hilarious, watching the baby bat try to figure out how to fly without whacking into trees. But look, there he goes again, smack, right into the bark and vines. All tangled up. Man, someone's really gotta give this kid lessons.

Bruce nods at Tim. "Good thinking." A little praise goes a long, long way.

Colin doesn't /obviously/ shrink into himself when he's left alone. But he suddenly seems to take up a lot less space, and he didn't take up very much space to begin with.

disney is being koala tea lately
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Once the three big intimidators leave the cave, Tim feels like he can breathe again. He does shoot a nervous glance at Colin but he is /reasonably/ confident that he's right about this. He taps his fingers against his leg and waits with trained patience.

Steph, on the other hand, fidgets. Her first instinct is to comfort Colin, but that's just because he looks like a scared, too-skinny, cold kid, all curled into himself and staring wherever he can that'll keep him from making eye contact with her or Tim. But, she reminds herself, Colin's also the reason why she's on constant chicken soup duty in an effort to make Alfred feel a little better.

That's not fair, though, she reasons. Because Bruce getting all humaned and teenagered is another reason why Alfred's---dying. Her inner dialogue huffs on both ends and Steph picks at her fingernails awkwardly. But she can't handle silence even when she feels comfortable. "Soooooo," she draws out, thinking of something to say while she's saying it. "Can you hear them?"

Damian, his father and Todd have not moved very far at all in that short time. It's odd, Damian feels, since Bruce used to have to slow down for Damian to keep up before he became human. Now Damian moves too quickly around the house. Even Todd has to slow down but it doesn't seem to bother him that much. Not that anything does, ever.

Damian sulks. He sulks obviously. If this is true and he does have the powers of a master then it should be cause for celebration and praise, not that awful scowl that Bruce wears on his face all the time. Perhaps, Damian thinks, he just doesn't want Damian to be better than him. He's jealous.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:07 pm

Colin really wants to grab one of the blankets out of the cage -- the Cave can be so cold, and even though he's a boiling hot shifter a blanket would just really help him right now. But he can't convince himself to go back in that cage. He won't ever walk into that thing. They'll have to throw him or drag him, if they intend to put him back in it.

He jerks with surprise when Steph actually speaks to him. He's not seen her since he ignored her to attack Alfred on the lawn. Privately, his human brain is surprised that his beast didn't go for Steph, since he was so angry at her for so long. But animals don't think about that kind of thing.

Colin nods. "I can hear them just -- walking. I can hear their hearts." Well, he can hear Bruce's and Damian's. Obviously not Jason's. Whenever Damian speaks, Colin will be able to hear it and parrot it back for Steph.

Bruce is absolutely definitely jealous. He is treasuring being human and growing out of his clothes and walking in the sunlight -- but he definitely misses, more than he thought he would, having power and authority. At least he doesn't have to go to school.

They pace along the hallways in the house for some time.

Jason asks where they're going, but Bruce doesn't tell them. That would defeat the purpose of being somewhere Colin won't know. But at times he tells Damian to speak and Jason to text Stephanie with what Damian says.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 pm

"Weird," Steph says conversationally, scrunching her nose a little. "I mean, cool, right? But weird. All this hoodoo stuff is cool but weird."

"I'd really appreciate it if you didn't call it hoodoo," Tim sighs because it's like the fifteen-thousandth time he's said that. She just winks at him.

Again, Damian sulks loudly and sighs at Bruce's requests. "Very /well/," he grumps and turns to Todd. "And how are you finding being the vampire lackey to a preteen? Everything you'd dreamed, I hope."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Colin giggles -- quick and sharp, like he's not sure if he's allowed to. Then he clears his throat. "I -- wasn't laughing at you," he says first, to Tim and Steph. "I -- Damian just said, 'and how are you finding being the vampire lackey to a preteen? Everything you'd dreamed, I hope'," he parrots. "To, um, to Jason, I guess."

Jason grins at Damian and makes a show of typing out the snappy comment on his phone to send to Steph. Only once the text whooshes away does he bother to reply. "Pretty sure lackey comes with a decent dental plan, so I'm doing okay. Hoping for the big leagues next year. Maybe I'll get promoted to crony."

Bruce just barely manages not to snort.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Tim winces and smiles at the same time, because he can appreciate Damian's cutting remarks if they're directed at Jason. "Oof," he says quietly.

Steph just laughs. "Oh my god," she sighs, shaking her head, looking at her phone. "Bang on target, too." She waves a hand vaguely at Colin, still kind of unable to look at him being all human-child about life and glad of her phone as a distraction. "Don't worry about laughing. Laughing's---good. It's not, y'know. Scary."

"Reach for the stars, Todd," Damian replies without missing a beat. "Now that he actually needs you, it's bound to happen this time."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:42 pm

"I don't--" Colin really isn't used to talking to other people anymore. "I don't want to be mean, is all," he finishes, shrugging one shoulder. "Um. Damian says..." and he echoes it, a little more haltingly. This one, Colin doesn't find as funny, because Colin understands what it's like to need people. Damian doesn't need anyone.

"Damian," Bruce says.

Jason throws up a hand. "'S all good, papa bear. I know the order of things around here. It goes, you need a hole in the head, then me, and then little Groucho Marx over there." He's busy tapping even as he's talking, sweeping off Damian's smart remarks to Steph. He hopes she's getting a laugh out of them.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Steph and Tim don't laugh either but look at each other quickly, worried. That's a little close to the bone, even for Damian. Steph confirms the text and Tim shakes his head.

"Yeah, I really didn't think that Colin could make something like that up," he admits. It's too personal.

Damian actually laughs, though there's no humor in it. He's angry, angry that he has to jump through hoops to get freedom for a boy his age, his friend, someone that Bruce adopted himself. He's angry that Bruce is being such a /child/ about everything and refuses to listen to him. But, oh, when Drake opens his blessed mouth, of course everything is taken so seriously.

"I do believe you're missing some people in that list," he snorts. "Though I do believe you've got the placement just about right. Bravo. It seems you have healed up all that severe head trauma, and can indeed be taught."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:13 pm

Colin hunches and repeats what Damian says, again, his arms wrapped tightly around himself. He's getting kind of worried. He knows that Damian is agitated -- angry, even. But doesn't Damian realise that if he angers everyone trying to help them, there won't ever be any change? It took real courage for Tim to say something, anything. It took courage to open the cage, considering Tim saw first hand what Colin can do.

"Yeah, that old dog thing doesn't really apply when you're going to live forever." Jason mostly snarks that one at Bruce, since he's still pissed Bruce gave it all up just 'cause of the eternal kid thing. "Hey, though, I guess you wouldn't know, huh," he adds, to Damian. "Guess Mommy had to sacrifice something so she wouldn't get stuck with a freak bitey baby."
He always feels vaguely sick when he insults Talia. He figures that's the conditioning still working its way out of his system.

Bruce turns on his heel and glares at the both of them. "I have told you both before that I would not tolerate this kind of attitude. I may be awake for double the hours that I used to be, but my patience has not increased to match."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Steph makes a groaning kind of noise when Colin repeats what's being said and then reads it from Jason. She sends back I hope you're not fueling this fire, Jaybird. But she knows he's not backing down either.

"This is ugly in ways I didn't really predict," Tim mutters, mostly to himself. He should have seen /something/ coming. Damian never makes anything easy.

Damian goes through what looks like a brief spasm, taking in several breaths in a few seconds to start a new retort and having them catch in his throat. He scowls, gritting his teeth. He settles on the one thing he knows he can say. "Yes, father."

He waits until they start walking again before he opens his mouth, subdued. Anger turned to self-pity instead. "Of course, Todd, you are right. She sacrificed a lot to make me but not in such a manner. I was never a danger to her, since it was out of the question that I would be nursed. How barbaric," he says, in almost a perfect imitation of his mother's inflections. "Immortality was not something easily recreated, however. Many sacrifices were made before she realised that."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:45 pm

Colin opens and closes his mouth a couple of times. This is getting /really/ personal. He doesn't know if he even should repeat this. Has Damian forgotten what they're doing? ...Colin wouldn't be surprised. He always expects Damian to forget about him the moment he can't see Colin any more. Not very charitable of Colin, but... well, it looks like it's true.

He does eventually repeat it, but he's very quiet as he does.

"Think I know that a little better than you, kid," Jason replies. Jason was the one wrapped in silver chains and tossed in a coffin in the ocean when he was no longer useful, after all. But that bit he doesn't say out loud. No need to join in a pity party.
He texts back to Steph what Damian says, though it takes a little while with his many-times-broken fingers, and tags on the end, in brackets, All I gotta do is breathe to fan the flames, babe.

Bruce takes a deep breath. "I will stop this experiment, Damian," he says, quiet and calm.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:55 pm

"Shit," Steph and Tim say in the same breath. Neither of them really knew anything about how Damian was born. Created. Whatever. Tim made jokes, but he guesses he hit a little too close to home. Steph feels like, more than ever, she understands why Damian kicks against everything in his life.

All but Colin.

Easy, tiger, she texts back. It's tough to rein Jason in, but easier if there's flirting attached.

"Please," Damian says quickly. "Do not forsake Colin's freedom just because I make you uncomfortable." He pauses, thinking. "I cannot...smalltalk. Provide a topic to talk about and I will--obey."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Colin's face crumples as he makes himself talk about himself and about Damian obeying. They can never just be normal teenagers, can they? It will never happen. That's more clear than ever.

Babydoll, this is so not about me, Jason sends back, after carefully typing out what Damian has said. He doesn't want to ruin the experiment by keeping personal shit back. Day by day, the house gets more strained the longer they keep a little kid captive in a cage. Day by day, Jason's closer to leaving. Even the al Ghuls didn't keep kids in cages.

Bruce reaches out and puts a hand on Damian's shoulder, and it's a little disconcerting that his arm slants upwards as he does. But he does it all the same, because this is how they touch. This is Bruce's version of a hug. "I'm not uncomfortable," he says, quietly. "I know you. You are blood of my blood. But you are being flippant about serious matters to elicit a reaction. Talk about Titus, or your science homework, or something you read in the newspaper."
Phew. that took quite a bit of sympathy and empathy to get that out of Bruce. He might have used up all his empathy quota for the year with just this one day.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:34 pm

Steph continues to confirm what Damian's saying, but she gets up and walks to the fridge by the cage. She was there when Damian made a demand for that, she knows there's /something/ in there. She finds cheese slices, bread and bottled water. Better than nothing.

She takes a bottle out and gives it to Colin, then goes back to her seat by Tim. That was about as close as she's willing to get. She's not proud of it.

It takes all of Damian's willpower not to roll Bruce's hand from his shoulder. He /is/ uncomfortable. He's always uncomfortable around Damian, so why not talk about how Damian came to be? "Very well," he says, ignoring the warmth that is so alien coming from Bruce's hand but so welcome at the same time. "Titus has recently learned how to respond to the speak command. I like his bark. It's deep and rich, frightening to those who might be unused to that kind of thing. He sounds older than he is, though I know that makes no sense. He's just a great dane. It's just how they sound."

Poor Bruce. He'll live.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:42 pm

Colin takes the water bottle without dropping it -- a minor miracle. He nearly ran for his life when Steph walked towards the cage. He wouldn't make it far into the deep recess of the Cave, but there's a way out down there somewhere. He could do it. But he doesn't need to.

He drinks some water while Bruce talks, and it soothes his throat and cools him down. When Damian starts to talk about Titus, he takes a breath and relaxes, and repeats it all much easier than -- the earlier stuff.

They can talk about how Damian came to be at almost any time Damian wants. But Bruce is actually pretty sure that Damian doesn't want Jason, Tim and Steph listening in on the conversation, because it would get very personal very fast and leave Damian vulnerable. Too vulnerable, to people he doesn't trust. Surprising as it may be, Bruce is trying to take care of Damian by refusing to talk about Damian's creation right now.

Bruce leads them all the way up to the attic, and when that proves to be within Colin's bounds, they then head out the front door and down towards the front gate. Damian suggested the gardens, and that will be the next destination, but Bruce intends to take a circuitous route in the hope that Colin won't just go where he knows Damian is likely to be, when they get to the calling.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:55 pm

"I guess Bruce laid the smack down," Tim comments, Steph nodding along with what Colin's saying, marvelling at how he can still manage to do that even when he's pretty frail now.

In another time, Damian would have agreed that it would be showing vulnerability in front of people he doesn't trust. But he knows that they laugh about it anyway, that they know enough to tease him. Drake and Todd, at any rate. Grayson and Stephanie just look at him with pitying eyes. Cassandra, thankfully, isn't around enough to judge him. But it would happen. Damian was aware that everything was being heard. He wanted that. He wanted them all to know that, yes, he is a freak. Colin is his freak friend. He doesn't want to feel ashamed and sick about that any longer.

He keeps talking about Titus. Where he walked him two days ago, four days ago, last month. What the dog keeps finding and bringing to him. How he found it irritating at first. How much he missed the brute when he was at school. He doesn't even pay attention to Todd or where his father is leading them after a while. There's some kind of peace within speaking nonsense while following instructions. His mind wanders, and he daydreams about going out into the gardens with Colin again and just sitting. That would be nice. Colin would like some sunlight.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Colin wants to correct them, to tell them that if Bruce laid the smackdown it was a damn gentle one, but you know what, he decides, they don't need to know that. They've heard enough, they don't need to hear Bruce's fumbling attempts to be a good father. Colin has the vicious thought that Steph would only laugh -- but really, he knows, Jason and Steph and Tim, they would all be just upset that Bruce doesn't try to talk to them like that.

Jason's fingers are getting pretty sore. He abbreviates as much as he can, but Damian's just purely rambling right now. Jason's so wishing Bruce had laid down some kind of 'one sentence every hundred yards' rule or something, that would've been easier to manage. But... actually, it's kind of humanising to hear Damian talk so fondly about his dog. He's a real kid after all.

Bruce leads them through the outer garage and the empty stables, and the enormous kennel built just for Titus, although the dog himself is back up at the house -- probably asleep on Damian's bed, or at the foot of Alfred's. Bruce has read that some dogs can tell when a human is sick, and will stay with them. He doesn't want to think about that.

It's when they start getting down to the deep, rolling gardens that Colin starts to miss things. There's a lot of interference between them, now -- lots of walls and doors, lots of smells, lots of opposing sounds. He loses track of the heartbeats first, and then the voices grow more faint.

"I'm losing them," he tells Tim and Steph, hesitantly.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:44 pm

Steph tells Jason quickly that Colin's reception is getting fuzzy, then huffs a sigh. "Oh my /god/," she says dramatically. "Are there board games down here? Anything to pass the time."

"We're on duty," Tim says simply, like that'll stamp down the boredom.

"You said doodie," Steph snerks back.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Colin would usually laugh at that. But -- but it's Steph. He wants to forgive her, he knows he should, it's not even her fault that Damian likes her so much. It's not anyone's /fault/. It's just what happened. It's... it's emotions, it's hormones. Colin's been through all this in his head over, and over again.

But he's just not a good enough person. Not yet. He's working on it. One day he'll be able to relax around Steph. He'd like to. She seems nice. But not right now, not yet.

Jason reports back to Bruce about Colin.

They move beyond a fountain -- that will help, running water is great interference for hearing, and even for tracking. "We shouldn't have to go much further," Bruce tells Damian and Jason. "You were correct, Damian. We did not have to leave the estate grounds."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:14 pm

"You're hilarious," Tim deadpans. "We can't do anything, anyway. Have to wait until Damian does his vampire magic thing. Shouldn't be too long." He glances at Colin--not nervously, but quickly. Checking. Cautious.

Damian lifts a shoulder, an attempt to hide his pleasure at being praised. "I know Colin well," he dismisses. It was a guess. But his father doesn't need to know that.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Jason texts that to Steph. Look, the gremlin's got an adorable side, he adds.

"I hope so," Bruce says to Damian.

But Colin doesn't hear it. Especially not while Tim and Steph are talking, that's, like, overriding all the more subtle sounds he might have heard. But there's just nothing. He takes a deep breath. This is how it's supposed to be. Damian hasn't actually left again. He's still here, he assures himself.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Steph hears the breath that Colin takes and instantly worries, because of course, but when she looks over he's still just a scared kid. "Damian's talking about you," she reports, casually. "Says he knows you really well. Jason thinks it's adorable."

Tim snorts.

Damian scowls, and hard. "With respect, father," he says, as politely as he can while he fumes. "If you are relying on hope and not legitimate faith in my abilities then I do not understand why you're doing this at all. It doesn't seem like you."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Colin darts a glance at her. "He does know me," he agrees softly. "Better than anyone. If he thinks this can work, I believe him. Does -- does this mean we're going to start the other thing now?"

Bruce takes a breath. "I hope you're right about Colin. As for your abilities -- that's what we're here to find out. I have faith in your control," he allows. As if Talia would have allowed Damian to live, had she not been able to teach him control.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:12 pm

"That's the plan," Tim answers. He taps at the console absently. "Whenever they decide to get Damian to do what he does."

Steph wants /nothing/ more than to ask about all this weirdo mojo. There'll probably be better times. Like, probably.

Damian looks at Bruce, about to ask a question but his expression turns more curious than usual. He drops his voice to a whisper, but one that Bruce can hear. Jason can too, but the illusion of privacy is there. "Is it odd, needing to breathe again?" He sounds like a young boy asking about if that farm they sent his old dog to is a nice one.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Colin drinks more of the water bottle and looks down at his hands. "Um. What -- will you do with me if this doesn't work?" He's nearly whispering.

Bruce pauses at the unexpected question. Damian hasn't spoken to him directly, not yet, about Bruce's -- change of condition. He takes another breath, thinking about it. Then, breathing out, he nods. "Yes. It makes me very aware of myself." He lies in bed at night and can't get to sleep because his own body is so loud. Sleep itself is strange enough.

He figures Damian needs a moment. He's willing to give him that. If there had been any trouble with Colin at the house, Stephanie would have sent Jason a signal. Since they're fine, Bruce can afford to give Damian a little time to work out how to do this. What it feels like. It's a very singular feeling. It's probably even different to each vampire. It's not like they talk about it.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Tim and Steph look at each other in silence. It hangs between them for Too Long.

"We'll figure that out when it comes to it," Tim says eventually. "But, really, I think I'm right. It worked when Damian was in here with you."

Damian frowns, but only because he's thinking very hard. "I think I would find it a significant hurdle to learn that I do not need to breathe," he admits. He probably wouldn't need to as much if he were allowed to drink blood, but it's not something that he's ever really thought about until now.

He stands for a moment, fascinated that he can actually talk to Bruce, albeit briefly. Then he realises that they're both looking at him. "Ah. I should--yes." He stands a little taller and starts to concentrate like he did before.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Colin edges away from the cage. Even as he does, something changes in the set of his shoulders. He suddenly -- it's strange. It feels like someone's watching him.

"It's difficult, to break a habit like that," Bruce agrees. He's gone faint more than once from times he's accidentally held his breath -- or not /held/ it, but stopped himself from breathing in. "All I can tell you about calling is -- just think about Colin. Reach for him as though he is standing next to you."

Jason is like... ninety percent sure he'll never be a master vampire. But he can't help but watch and listen with longing. He wishes Bruce had taken some time to teach him stuff like this. Or even see if he could be taught. It's just not vampiric nature to teach someone weaker than yourself how to get stronger -- how to challenge you. It's different now Bruce can't be challenged.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Damian's brows furrow. He doesn't understand how that is any different from how he usually thinks. He sighs, rolls his shoulders, and thinks back to how much he missed Colin when he was at school. It was difficult for him, to want someone like that. He's wanted the idea of people before; the idea of a mother, the idea of a father. But he's never wanted someone real before. Colin's real.

Colin's real and near, relatively, to him. Damian feels like he can almost pinpoint exactly where Colin is. He's warm, because he always is, and so close by. But not close enough. He wants Colin to be closer.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:29 pm

It's something soft, the feeling that steals around Colin, like silk draping over his shoulders. It's not a /demand/, not a command, not even being pulled. It's soft and whispery and coaxing. "I --" he starts to say. His voice is dreamy. "It's -- I think --" Then he trails off entirely, not realising he's not talking anymore.

He heads for the stairs. This is the way Damian's scent goes, but at the top of the stairs (so long as Tim and Steph let him get that far), it forks off deeper into the house. Colin instead heads directly for the closest door to the outside.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Tim jumps up from the chair and gestures frantically for Steph to text ahead. When Colin starts walking, Tim holds Steph a few steps back from him before he gives the go ahead to walk. He does this all silently. It feels like if they make a noise they might distract Colin and ruin everything.

Damian concentrates harder, his face scrunching up a little as he does. "I think he's moving," he says aloud, his senses so heightened that he couldn't for a second forget that Todd and Bruce are right there getting in the way of what's really important.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:00 pm

It wouldn't really distract Colin -- the call is the call, he can't lose track of it. But he might get agitated if someone gets in his way or tries to stop him. He isn't fully aware of what he's doing. But Damian needs him. Damian is calling to him with an intoxicating, gentle longing. That's all he knows.

Jason drops his head and listens. He cracks an eye open and checks his phone, and nods to Bruce. Then he goes back to listening. A young shifter, full of heat and life and blood -- he's always made Jason vaguely hungry. It's easy to track his approach.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 am

Steph holds onto Tim's arm while they walk. She's kind of useless here unless she touches him and they both know that if this goes wrong then it'll go wrong quickly. Tim, however, is pretty calm. Calm for him, anyway. This is working. It's working and they're going to get the kid out of a cage, and maybe ease away some of Bruce's stress.

The closer Colin gets to him, to them, Damian gets a little more excited. He can definitely feel him out there. Or perhaps smell him. Or perhaps hear him. Something. He /knows/ where Colin is and it's comforting. He thinks about how easier this would be with a drop of blood.

It's a game changing thought, albeit fleeting, because Damian ends up hungry.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Colin feels like he's floating. His feet barely touch the floor as he moves through hallways and doors, and then he's out the main door and he's moving across gravel and grass. He's only walking at first, and then he starts to move faster, as the gentle coaxing turns into something more... thrilling. Something that electrifies his skin.

Bruce is watching Damian closely. He doesn't know if it's working, he doesn't /know/, not for sure -- but he's fairly sure he can tell. Damian has a look on his face almost like other children when the ice cream truck is coming.

Jason can sense Colin coming. He can sense Damian's own excitement more strongly than he ever has before. This is crazy. Damian is not /Jason's/ master.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Once they get out into the night, and can see Jason and Damian and Bruce, Tim feels a little more safe. The confined space of the halls and rooms of the Manor just weren't working for him, following after Colin. What if tonight was one of those nights that Alfred decided he's well enough to stroll around?

Steph waves though she doesn't expect anyone to wave back. They're all too serious looking to wave back.

Damian moves oddly, too smooth for a human, when Colin gets close enough. He raises his arm and reaches out because Colin is closer still than before but not close /enough/.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Jason is freaking out on one level, but he's aware enough of the approaching group to catch Steph's wave. He's definitely going to be the only one who waves back, just a quick twiddle of his fingers in the middle of his vampiric freakout.

Bruce moves closer to Jason. If things go wrong right now, he trusts Jason to protect him.

Colin is so close to shifting there's fur on his cheeks; so close that his eyes are the eyes of a cat, slitted and sharp. He growls under his breath and lunges into Damian's personal space. He curls into Damian's side like it's the most natural thing in the world -- and like he's already a large cat. He's holding onto his human form by the skin of his fingertips.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next