[Inception]

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Inception]

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 am

Arthur takes in Ted, considers Theodore or Edward, then puts that aside for the moment, all in the space of one second. He feels Eames' fingers trembling around his wrist, and his heart clenches when Eames sits back and feigns strength. The forging is obvious to Arthur, but probably it wouldn't be to anyone else.

He turns his hand over, holding Eames' wrist in return, offering his own strength. He knows they need to explain, but he wishes they'd had a couple of days to plan out what to say. Now, there's only the truth, and the truth sounds ridiculous.

"Death was the only way to survive. I know you aren't going to believe me, or him, but it was the only way to keep you and your family safe, beneath the notice of people who would have been only too happy to use you to get to him."

It sounds like a bad thriller novel. Arthur doesn't care.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Thomas shakes his head. "Spin me another," he mutters. "So, suddenly you're not a wanted man?"

Eames sort of shrugs. "Not /as/ wanted, definitely. Not by the same people."

"And you?" Thomas asks Arthur. His distrust is very clear. Even though he's upset with Eames, he still looks at him with a kind of familiarness. His whole expression shifts to something a lot darker when he looks at Arthur.

"None of this has anything to do with Arthur," Eames says. He thinks Thomas is directing all the blame to Arthur--who, to be fair, does always look like a fed. His words are ignored by his brother, though. He just keeps staring at Arthur and silently demanding an answer.
sinistra_blache
RESIDENT VILLAIN SYMPATHISER

Character sheet
Name: Mitz Stillhaven
Class: Engineer

http://filibuster-vigilantly.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Arthur feels the urge to fidget, and ruthlessly quashes it. He looks back at Thomas with complete, still composure. "My family has been under active surveillance for several years, since I deserted. I couldn't successfully fake my own death, not back then." He hadn't been as good at his job back then--just a scared kid with a head full of secrets and a desperate need to get the hell out of dodge before his brain melted out of his ears. "I finally managed to bribe the right person to have the whole mess shelved a few months ago. Is that what you wanted to know?"
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

"So you weren't as good a liar as this shithead right here," Thomas jerks his head towards Eames and, inexplicably, Eames relaxes. If he had called Eames 'piece of shit', that would mean considerable anger. 'Shithead' is very close to a term of endearment.

"You're not going to believe anything he says anyway," Eames says.

"I'm not going to believe anything you say," Thomas says at the same time. Eames ducks his head with a soft laugh. He'd missed that. He hadn't known that he missed that. Thomas, on the other hand, frowns.

"Don't do that," he says quietly, then talks to Arthur again. Eames looks away. Let them have their conversation. It might be easier for Thomas to talk to someone else than to Eames. Anything that makes this easier. "Let's say I believe you, which I don't. But say I did. What now? Did you two plan anything?"
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Arthur can practically feel Eames curling up like a burned scrap of paper next to him. He takes Eames' hand on an impulse; he needs to feel Eames' warmth, and he thinks Eames needs to feel his. "Not sure what you mean," he admits. "The plan was to spend some time in London and perhaps try to reach out to you." He thinks of Mal, and missing out on life, and how Dom's eyes look so old these days. "It was never going to be easy."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Eames' face doesn't give anything away but he grips Arthur's hand a little too hard for a moment before relaxing the hold. He doesn't really feel like he's here in the moment. It's like he's watching everything from far away. He'll deal with all emotions that come later, but right now Arthur's presence keeps him at least a little there.

Thomas nods, his gaze flicking every so often to his brother and then back to Arthur. It's like he can't really look at Eames for too long. "Right, well," he says. "You've done that. Nice and public, too. Only a little violence. Reckon you either want to leave it at that, which is a shitty move, or you want to keep reaching out."

"Whatever you want," Eames says. "Don't have to do anything you don't want." He doesn't know how to ask to see Thomas' kids. He doesn't know how to mention that he has a fund set aside for them, money he can't touch. Money nobody but Thomas and the kids can touch. It was meant to go to them when he actually died.

"That's a lie," Thomas says, too light. "Since I don't have any control over this situation at all. But I suppose now's the time that we either decide to be against each other or not."

You're my brother, Eames thinks. Can't say. "Was never against you."

"Right," Thomas says, which is neither a good or a bad response to get. Eames takes another breath and buries everything that he could feel before he feels it. Thomas looks back at Arthur. "Chances are, not gonna lie, I'm going to want to punch my brother again. Going to need you to not stop that. You look like you'd be dangerous if you ever get going even for a little bloke."

Eames snorts.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:07 pm

It's Arthur's turn to squeeze Eames' hand. His expression twists before he can really stop it. "I'd prefer it if you didn't. I don't like seeing him get punched." The first blush of a bruise on Eames' face has him all knotted up inside. "But if it means it's going to happen behind my back--then I'll like that even less." He gives Eames his own special brand of the 'don't do the stupid thing' look. "If it has to happen, and I'm stressing the /if/ here, don't get into it behind my back. Please," he adds, just a tiny bit softer than before.

He wants to flat out say that Eames wants to reach out, is still reaching out, and will continue to reach out until Thomas slaps him away. But--honestly, he doesn't know. He thinks Eames is willing to try again, but it's not up to him. Eames left /this/ up to him, and it failed pretty miserably. He's almost scared to take responsibility for whatever happens next.

He's not touching 'little bloke' with a ten foot pole. Thomas hasn't seen under his suit.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Eames can't help but give Arthur a very soft look when he admits that he's upset about Eames getting punched. Not too long ago, he would have told Eames that he deserved it, no matter the situation. Now he's worried about Eames' well-being. Eames will take any victory today.

"He wants to watch you get beat up?" Thomas says to Eames and it's nearly a joke. Eames nearly responds in kind.

"You know how I couldn't ever say no to a bit of the rough stuff."

Thomas huffs a humourless laugh. He speaks to Arthur again--he really can't handle dealing with Eames unless it's short bursts. "Don't get into a scuffle without a watchful eye. Fair dues, I suppose," he shrugs, then rubs his face. Eames wonders if he looks that tired when he's stressed but of course he does. "What now? I can't--I can't do this for the rest of the day."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 am

Arthur jumps on that. "Then let's take a break. Take some time, and meet up again elsewhere. Your choice." He thinks they'd all be more comfortable with that. Thomas seems like he needs a bit of control, and Arthur can stake out just about anywhere on short notice if he has to.

Hey, sometime Eames does deserve to get punched. That doesn't mean Arthur won't /also/ punch the guy who punched him, especially if Eames is on his team. Sometimes even if Eames is on the rival's team, which has no doubt happened before.

It's just--Arthur has People, and they make him all confused and protective and stuff, and he doesn't know when Eames became one of those people, but it was definitely before India, definitely before the inception job. Eames is his People. That means Arthur can bitch him out /while/ defending him, if he has to. His sisters can attest to that.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Thomas nods, taking on that suggestion while sipping his coffee. Stalling, Eames notes distantly.

"Tomorrow, then. Too much time and it won't even matter that you're back from the dead," Thomas says to Eames but still looking at Arthur. "Don't know about where. Not here. I come here." It's such a simple statement but there's a genuine disappointment in his voice.

Eames chews his lip. They ruined something for him without thinking.

"Can we call you, then?" He suggests. Thomas glances at him, then sighs.

"Yeah, I guess. I'll give you the number," he starts writing it on a napkin. He just had a pen on him. Of course he did, Eames thinks. He's a writer. He also doesn't bother letting Thomas know that he already has his mobile number. And his home number. And the number of his publishing house.

While his brother is writing, Eames rubs his thumb back and forth over Arthur's hand. He doesn't even think about it. It does a little to calm him. Eames' own personal totem.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Arthur decides against telling Thomas exactly how much they both know about him. He spends a long moment focusing on Eames' thumb, warm and steady, sweep sweep sweeping over Arthur's own knuckles. "We'll shout you lunch tomorrow," he says, because lunch is easier to walk away from than dinner if things go wrong on either side. "Do you get out to Belgravia much? I saw a few cafes I liked the look of," he says to Eames.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 am

Thomas' eyebrows go right up into his hairline. Eames shakes his head and covers his face with his free hand, almost in embarrassment.

"Bloody Belgravia?" he asks, all the betrayal and anger and hurt lost for a second in surprise and mockery. "Pull the other one, Ted. Is this fucker serious?"

"Almost always," Eames says from behind his hand, but his smile is easy to hear.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:25 am

Arthur's not a complete idiot--he knows what kind of address Belgravia is. Mentioning it is slightly strategic, though: he wants Thomas to know that Eames hasn't come back into his life looking for a handout. "Good networking and pooled resources with a few friends. Anyway: lunch. Yeah?"

He had ended up buying Dom out of his share after Mal died and Dom needed the cash, though. Probably better not to mention that bit. Arthur's just... very good with money. And dream-sharers and hackers run in the same kind of circles, and he's picked up a few creative budgeting tactics over the years.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 pm

"If you're paying, mate," Thomas says. The way he says 'mate' sounds almost exactly like the way Eames says 'darling' when he's being shitty. "Lucky for you, I'm free all day."

Eames looks up from behind his hand, eyebrows knitted together. He knows for a fact that in the middle of the week Thomas doesn't do anything but look after his kids. Thomas catches the look a split second before Eames can get rid of it and they share a very tense moment where neither of them really want to say anything.

"Right then," Eames says eventually. When in doubt, fall back on good old British denial. "See you tomorrow. Arthur?" He looks at Arthur and then to the door. They should leave before Thomas. This is his place, after all.

For what it's worth, Eames would probably have enough money to buy a house in Belgravia too if he hadn't put every penny into an account for his brother and the children. Dreamers probably get paid a /lot/ of money.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Fri May 05, 2017 10:53 pm

"We'll be in touch," Arthur says. He stands, his hand still caught in Eames', tugging him gently. "We'll see you tomorrow."

He's really looking forward to being home with Eames. He knows he's basically screwed himself out of any intimacy or quiet, comfortable time spent teasing or playing games or just touching--but he just wants to be home alone with Eames.

Home. Strange word.

They definitely would. Only top-level people would even know about dreamers. They'd be hired for all the riskiest plum jobs and fat cat plots.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6