[Potter reboot] The Sorting

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Potter reboot] The Sorting

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Even when Mitz was very small, he understood that the Stillhaven family had always been sorted into Ravenclaw house. It was just what happened. When Jerel was first going to Hogwarts, all their relatives had gathered around him (much to Mother's discomfort, as she never liked having to entertain anyone much less family) to tell their sorting stories.

Cousin Adelia said very proudly that the hat never even touched her head before it had her in Ravenclaw. Her husband, a watery kind of man called Albert who happily took the Stillhaven name when they married, said that if he hadn't been sorted into Ravenclaw then he never would have met the love of his life. Aunt Josephine asked loudly who that person was, had they met her yet, but everyone ignored her while she cackled at the back of the room.

Great-Great-Great-Aunt Lavinia, who had scared Mitz since he could remember and who Jerel had never liked because she used to pinch him when he spoke back to her, said with a proud sniff that of course all of them had been sorted into Ravenclaw. It was Right And Proper, she said, because they were all direct descendants of Rowena Ravenclaw herself.

Aunt Josephine muttered something about "history was rewritten" and "older than the hills" and "old crone" but Mitz thought she must have been scared of Great-Great-Great-Aunt Lavinia's pinches as well because she didn't say it all that loudly, making it even easier to ignore than her loud and pointed questions. She and Jerel caught each other's eyes, though, from across the room and Jerel snickered.

Mitz felt jealous, he remembers, because he thought about nice it would be to connect with a relative like that, even the old and crazy ones that Mother didn't like.

Mitz had been studying in his play room when Jerel's first letter from Hogwarts arrived. He was told nothing at the time, only picked up (which was surprising by itself; Mother never held him, not that he could remember, but she was in too much of a rush to let him move by himself) and whisked off with her and his father to Hogwarts. It was the first time Mitz had actually seen it, and it didn't feel like a castle. They floo'd directly to the Headmistress's office and Mitz found himself surrounded by a warm red carpet, high ceilings, books everywhere and interestingly carved furniture. There was a huge, comfy looking chair directly in front of the fire and Mitz's father nearly walked right into it when they came out of the fire. As soon as she could, Mother put Mitz down.

While they spoke (quietly sometimes and sometimes very loudly, but always angry and confused and hissing), Mitz wandered over to the bookshelves that went right up to the ceiling like they did at home in Mother's study. Mitz wasn't allowed to touch them at home, so he assumed he wasn't allowed to touch them here, but he had read and re-read and memorised the names of the books on Mother's shelves (the ones he could see) so he started with these ones too. Some of them he already knew from home, some of them new. Mitz thought that maybe if this was just one place in Hogwarts, only one woman's office, there must be so many more books here and he got a little excited for Jerel. He'd heard that Ravenclaw tower was basically made of books and that there were some students who were obviously brilliant but would get lost in the library in the tower, losing points because of it. Mitz had thought that was funny when Great-Uncle Manasses told that story.

Mitz followed along the shelves until they stopped and he looked up at the painting hung on the wall in front of him. The man there sniffed down at him, which made Mitz think of Great-Great-Great-Aunt Lavinia so he stood a little straighter.

"Boy," the man said. Mitz read the plaque under his painting. Headmaster Phineas Nigellus Black, 1847--1925. "Find the right moment, won't you, and mention to your shrill crow of a mother that your brother has taken the first steps to true greatness. Be respectful about it, boy. She might be a wench but she is still your elder."

Mitz cocked his head. It wasn't the first time he'd heard those terms directed at his mother. He wasn't bothered. "What's happened to Jerel?"

"Got sorted into Slytherin, didn't he? Good lad, too," the painting, the headmaster, smoothed out his robes with a thin look on his face. "Decent blood, of course. Shouldn't be a complete let-down."

"I don't think that's correct, sir," Mitz said slowly, frowning. "Everyone in my family goes to Ravenclaw. Jerel went to Ravenclaw."

"Are you telling me that I'm wrong?" the painting peered down at Mitz, over his nose and irate. Mitz shrunk back a little and was very glad that paintings couldn't pinch. "Insinuating that I don't know what I'm talking about? What would you know, child? You've got the look of a squib about you."

Mitz flinched. "I'm...I'm not? Probably."

"Good to see we got the competent brother, at least," the painting muttered and unceremoniously got up and left its frame.

Mitz didn't feel much like reading through the rest of the books that he could see, so he made his way back to where his parents and the Headmistress of Hogwarts were talking.

"...and besides which, Mrs Stillhaven, I'm sure you're very aware of how final the Sorting Hat's decisions are," the Headmistress was saying in a clipped Scottish accent that sounded exactly like Cousin Pascal only just a little warmer. Even when angry with Mother, this woman seemed warmer. Mitz was baffled. The whole place was starting to make him feel uncomfortable. "I wouldn't presume to tell you how things worked, of course. You're an intelligent woman."

"Your badly hidden insults bore me," Mother replied, waving her hand dismissively. "There is always a way for you people."

"I'm sure I have no idea what you mean by that, Mrs Stillhaven," the Headmistress said tightly. "But I assure you that I have no way of changing what is now history--and I assure you, it is now history. Jeremiah managed to become the longest hatstall in all of Hogwarts written history. And your son is very happy, by all accounts, with his new house."

"And I suppose you're pleased with that paltry piece of sensationalism," Mother seethed quietly. "Instead of seeing it as a sign of the faultiness of that blasted hat."

"I know you didn't mean to insult the work of the founders," the Headmistress sighed, walking around from behind her desk and beginning to lead them all towards the fireplace. They were done, it seemed. Mitz wondered if everything was going to be okay. "Your own house's founder had put a great deal of work and precision into that 'blasted hat', or so it's told."

Mother didn't have an answer to that. It was surprising enough for Mitz to look at the Headmistress. She caught his eyes and didn't smile, but the look she gave him made him think that maybe, somehow, she was.

"I'm very sorry that your rather good streak was broken, but you'll find me unsympathetic. Slytherin is a perfectly good house and the hat must have had a very good reason to put your son there," she continued. "And I'm sure you will understand as time goes on that your son will do well there."

"I don't care if he'll do well there," Mother nearly exploded at the lip of the fireplace. The Headmistress's eyebrows disappeared underneath the rim of her pointed hat in surprise. "And I don't care if he's pleased with himself. He did this, somehow, and his whole future should not rest on a passing whim, a temporary prank."

"If that is the case, Helen," the Headmistress said, all warmth lost from her voice quite suddenly. Mitz held onto the leg of his father's trousers. "Then I'm quite confident that will be a lesson Jeremiah will learn quickly, as I'm sure you will agree."

"Jerel," Mitz said quietly.

"What's that?" the Headmistress asked him. His Mother gave him a sharp look. Mitz jumped a little and shook his head.

"No, no, no--thing. Nothing. Never mind," he muttered quickly. The painting at the back of the room spoke up with a horribly delighted "Squib!" but Mitz was almost sure he was the only one that heard it because none of the adults reacted.

"It's quite alright, go ahead," the Headmistress insisted. Mitz looked at his Mother, who was very displeased but waved him on impatiently.

"Jerel," Mitz repeated after clearing his throat. He spoke deliberately, clearly, slowly. The way he has to speak when speaking to anyone in his family apart from Jerel, just to be understood. "He doesn't like being called the other name. He likes being called Jerel."

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind, thank you," the Headmistress told him. Mitz blushed, feeling too warm.

"Yes, continue to encourage this behaviour," his Mother sighed, grabbing a handful of powder. "I'm sure that's a perfect way to run a school."

"It's been doing wonders so far," the Headmistress shot back right before Mother instructed the fire as to where to go. Mitz was sent to bed as soon as they got home.

----

The holidays were nothing surprising, though Jerel was suddenly wearing a lot of green and silver and it often seemed like he clashed with the rest of the house because of it. He fought with Mother a lot, but that was nothing new. What shocked Mitz was the amount of family that came out of the woodworks to come see Jerel.

"To see if it's true," Aunt Josephine had told Mitz, with a wink, before playfully wagging her finger at Jerel.

Aunt Susan, Mother's sister, was the only one who seemed pleased by Jerel going to a different house. "Change is inherently good, Jerel," she said to him, to both of them, very quietly. She was leaving almost as soon as she arrived. The door to the house had jammed something awful when she tried to open it and the coatrack had refused to let her hang her scarf up when she walked in, but it was always like that when Aunt Susan visited--though it rarely happened. Mitz knew that she had a son, just a little older than Mitz, but they'd never met. She never brought him to the house. "Creation is born of destruction, so the destruction of the old ways can only lead to the creation of new ways. Understand? It's a perfectly good thing if you let it." She kissed Jerel on the forehead before leaving and he stood for a very long time looking at the closed door afterwards.

---

Mitz was going to Hogwarts, proving that he wasn't a Squib after all, and Jerel spent the whole summer protecting Mitz from their family. "Don't let them bully you into anything, do you hear me?" he had said before Great-Great-Great-Aunt Lavinia, who had started to name Mitz her favourite the year before, out of the blue and shocking everyone in the room, arrived with all the rest of the family who lived nearby. "It's not up to them to write your future, no matter what they think. They're wrong, Mitz."

"They, uh, I mean. I heard that only Dark Wizards go to Slytherin," Mitz said quietly, flinching in anticipation of Jerel's reaction. Instead, Jerel smoothed out the shoulders of Mitz's robes in silence. Mother did the same thing when she was really angry and it was truly the worst thing, not that he would ever say that to Jerel's face. He knew better than that.

"Dark Wizards come from corruption, fear, greed and arrogance," Jerel said purposefully. He tapped at Mitz's face, making him look up and lock eyes. "It doesn't have anything to do with your house, Mitz. It doesn't mean anything like that. Your house is where you have to go to become the best version of you. That's all. How can we all be in one house to be the /best/ versions of ourselves? Do you understand?"

"I think so," Mitz said, feeling like he didn't understand at all.

Jerel put his arm around Mitz's shoulders, ruffling up the cloth that he just smoothed out. "Don't worry, little brother. I'll love you even if you're a Gryffindor idiot," he said warmly, lifting Mitz's spirits seconds before the bells announced Great-Great-Great-Aunt Lavinia's arrival.

---

"Stendhal, Mary."
"HUFFLEPUFF."
"Stillhaven, Jacob."

Mitz stepped forward, walking up to the stage with his heart in his throat. For all the stories everyone had told over the years, nothing could have prepared him for the trip surrounded by other children on the train (Jerel had left him, with a quiet word of reassurance, to go find his own friends), sitting by himself in a carriage the whole trip, travelling over the lake in the boats and thinking 'oh no this is how I die' whenever the rowdy children shook the boat around. He thought all that was bad, and he was already a little miffed that no-one had warned him until he found out that he would be sorted right in front of the whole school. Everyone would get to see him have a panic attack in the line to the stool, everyone would see him let down his older brother but uphold the family name when sorted into Ravenclaw. It was /terrifying/--especially since he could see Jerel sitting among the rest of the green and silver at the Slytherin table. He would never talk to Mitz again.

He sat, miserable, on the stool and the Headmistress (McGonagall, her name was McGonagall) lowered the giant hat onto his head.

Another Stillhaven and another brilliant mind. You could continue the legacy, pick up the broken line, of course. And you would be one of the best, I think.

Change is good, Aunt Susan had said.

Yes, change is good. But it can be a terrible thing when done incorrectly. The correct phrase you must be thinking right now is that change /can/ be good. If it's change you want, then you would be accepted in Hufflepuff. The need for acceptance is suffocating, I can see.

Oh god, he was going to be a Hufflepuff. Mother would never let him back home.

Most children think that I can tell you. And it's usually hyperbolic, I can tell you for nothing. But...no, you believe that. Your family would disown you. How terrible. Not Hufflepuff, then. No. Your brother went to Slytherin. You would get your acceptance there, as well as your change. And, as I told him, you could be good for the great and noble house.

Mitz? Surely not. Jerel would be great for anywhere he went to, but not Mitz.

Slytherin would build your confidence, which is greatly needed. But so could Gryffindor. Hmmm. It is very rare that I am baffled by a mind but I am not surprised that it comes from the mind of a Stillhaven. You feel complete dread at the idea of Gryffindor? How bizarre. It's a very good house, and it would push you out of your shell. No? Very well. Then the best choice for you would be

"SLYTHERIN."

The hat was suddenly taken off Mitz's head and he was blinking at the lights and people of the great hall, at the cheers from the Slytherin table. Jerel was standing, clapping, and motioning for Mitz to come over to him. There was a spot free beside his brother. Mitz's robes gently changed from black tipped to silver and green. On his way to the seat beside Jerel, a few students along the way turned to him to say things like 'good show', 'nice one, old boy, that'll show them all', 'good to have you, Stallhaven'. That last one baffled Mitz a bit. He was so overwhelmed by the whole thing that he didn't even think to worry about how Mother was going to take this.
sinistra_blache
RESIDENT VILLAIN SYMPATHISER

Character sheet
Name: Mitz Stillhaven
Class: Engineer

http://filibuster-vigilantly.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: [Potter reboot] The Sorting

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Jerel has heard it and heard it and heart it from almost every member of their incredibly large old-society wizarding family. Everyone wrote reams of eloquent scrolls. There weren't Howlers; the Stillhavens aren't that kind of family. But they are the kind of family to express their opinions. Jerel kept every letter so he can bring them up later to shove into their faces when he makes his mark in the world, when he becomes a Good Wizard from Slytherin.

That's the thought he holds onto when he carts the book of letters to and from school every term, when he spends his holidays fighting with his own bed to open up the curtains in the morning to let him out, when he has to fetch his own dinner because his plates won't obey, when he has to have his robes altered four times before they'll hold the green stitching to go along with the silver. Having robes made four times is expensive.

So, if there's one thing Jerel can do, it's make sure things are easier for Mitz. He's been researching how to manipulate wizarding houses to do one's bidding, so Mitz's holidays will hopefully be easier. The letters--he needs to work out how to intercept them, then reseal them and send them on once he's made sure there's nothing too damaging in there.

And right now, at the sorting ceremony, Jerel can throw his arms around his little brother and beam at him, and give him a big slab of challah once the feast begins. The Hogwarts tables always give him a little something his first night back at the castle.

(assuming the Stillhavens are still Jewish wizards?)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:34 am

(They are still Jewish for as much as that matters? Let's say genetically they are. Some of their relatives' names are Jewish since I always use that as a Stillhaven benchmark. But they're wizards. I don't see them being all that religious and Stillhavens less so.
Also, Jerel, Mitz will not appreciate you hiding things from him. Help him, yes, but hiding it just means you don't trust Mitz to handle the truth.)

Mitz is a little stunned by everything at first. He barely notices the food in front of him. Every so often another student from Slytherin will catch his eye and give him a thumbs up.

He blinks at Jerel, who's happily eating and pretending like he isn't sneaking glances at Mitz between bites. "Mother is going to lose it," he says and, for once, he's not scared. He laughs, only once and a little due to nerves, but he's not scared. "She's going to be in Hogwarts tonight, bet you anything you like. She did that for you."

Distracted, he starts slicing his bread and making a sandwich with it. Every time he did that around family at least one person would make a face at him, but it's /nice/, he swears. He looks at Jerel. "Someone called me a name already. That's probably okay, right? Or maybe they just had a weird accent. I'm unsure?"

He's not used to being unsure.

sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Jerel claps him on the back and laughs, almost choking on his chicken. "Was it Stallhaven? That's okay, little brother, it just means you're a hatstall and a Stillhaven, just like me. Also, you're a firstie. You all get nicknames until you earn your names." He explains about hatstalls and nudges Mitz. "She really came to Hogwarts the night I was Sorted? That's bonkers. I didn't know she cared so much. I knew she was angry," he says. Then he shrugs. "Well, if she does, we'll probably never hear about it, since I never heard the first time. McGonagall, you sly fox." He grins up at the Headmistress.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 pm

McGonagall glances in the direction of the Slytherin table but otherwise carries on with her meal. Mitz makes an unsure face; he's not sure if he would talk about the Headmistress like that if she had any means, however possible or perceived, to hear them.

"Will I get into trouble?" Mitz asks, referring to the hatstall. All he knows is what Jerel just told him and they sound rare. Rare enough for him to share a nickname with Jerel (and didn't he luck out there). "And do I have to do anything to get my name back? Will they call me Jacob?" Mitz asks the last question flat and disappointed, guessing at the answer.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:30 pm

"You won't get into any trouble," Jerel assures him. He grabs a passing plate of potatoes and spoons some onto Mitz's plate. "It just means you're more complicated than other people. The Hat took longer to figure out the best place for you to, you know, fit in. Belong." He finishes his mouthful of chicken and burps. "The upperclassmen'll call you Stillhaven, once you've done your bit and earned it. Your friends'll call you whatever you want. You should tell them. And," he snaps his fingers, "we can tell Professor McGonagall that you prefer your middle name and all the rolls will change. Someone must've told her about--" He hesitates. "It was you, wasn't it. You said you were here the night I was Sorted. You told her about calling me Jerel."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:00 pm

Mitz studies his sandwich very closely, not looking at Jerel at all. He doesn't know why he feels guilty about that, or that he's been caught out doing something he shouldn't be, but he does.

"I told her. She kept getting it wrong," Mitz defends himself. "It was just bothering me, is all. Mother didn't like it. Maybe she thought you would start using your first name? I ruined it for her."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:08 pm

"Good. I'm glad. I want to go by the name we picked for me. That's the name that fits me. It's up to you what you want to be called," Jerel says, and he pushes Mitz's cup of pumpkin juice closer to him. "If you want to be called Mitz, I'll tell her. You did it for me. I can do it for you."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:34 pm

"I don't even answer to Jacob," Mitz half-complains. He takes the cup of juice and holds it in his lap while looking around. He can't really believe that he's where he is. He looks over at the Ravenclaw table and, it's weird, he doesn't feel like it's all a mistake. He was expecting that.

Maybe it'll happen later? He wants to ask Jerel if he ever felt like that, but not here. Not even this year, probably.

"Does it matter, anyway?" He suddenly jokes, pulling himself out of his thoughts. "If I'm going to be called something else then it's not going to matter what I want to be called, not straight away."

(So Freo was saying that in the reboot, Zop'll be Slytherin too. This Malfoy bastard getting sorted into Slytherin so close after the war~)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:41 pm

"Well, the teachers'll call you Mr. Stillhaven, and the upperclassmen'll give you your firstie name, so I guess it doesn't really matter straight away. But it'll /matter/, Mitz." Jerel suddenly needs Mitz to understand this. Here, tonight, this is the start of Mitz's life, his /real/ life, or a real life, anyway. His real life will start once he gets out of Hogwarts. But this is his first step into making that life. "You wanna be called Mitz? It's better if we sort that out right away. Your firstie friends'll call you Mitz." He reaches out and taps his wand against his glass, and the noise rings out through the next dozen glasses, a signal to listen. "Hey, first years. This is Mitz. He's my brother. You call him Jacob, and you'll find out what happens when people call me Jeremiah." A (very) small handful of wide eyes watch him, before going back to the food.

(Of course. I imagine Zop wouldn't fight the Sorting Hat if it told him it knew best.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:25 am

Mitz covers his face with his hands after Jerel has finished. "Merlin's beard, Jerel," he mutters, mortified. "That was the most embarrassing thing you've ever done in my life." He wasn't counting on having first-year friends anyway, since he's only ever had Jerel as a friend in his whole life and he doesn't expect anything to change just because he's at school now, but now the possibility is well and truly out the window.

"Everyone knows my name now. Knows what I look like. Knows that I don't like my real name," he mumbles quickly, aware that anyone along with Jerel could hear him. He doesn't much care if Jerel hears him complain so long as no-one else does. "That's just...it's." He sighs, heavily.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:09 pm

"Mitz. We're in Slytherin. A lot of people don't like at least one of their names." Jerel bumps his leg under the table and tears into a piece of chicken. He eyes off the couple of other first years. They look like decent enough types, for all that they're silent and staring at /everything/, and generally all too pale. It still hasn't been long enough.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:36 pm

"That's not..." Mitz starts, then realises how selfish his reasons are. He shakes his head. "Doesn't matter. They know now, I suppose. Um. Will you promise me that you'll be nicer about it when you're talking to the Headmistress?"

(Who do you think their head of house is?)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:49 pm

"Of /course/." Jerel rolls his eyes. "If there's one thing you learn really fast, it's that you're nice to Headmistress McGonagall. You can do anything else you want, but you're nice to her, and in general, things go a little easier for you. You definitely don't get attacked by those suits of armour if she likes you." He nods his head at the end of the hall, where the suits stand silent and still. That's a favourite scaring-first-years story. Jerel's never seen 'em move, but he spreads the propaganda like anything.

(Good question. None of the upper-year Slytherins seemed at all competent. Maybe Slughorn's still there?)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 am

Mitz follows Jerel's gaze to the suits. He knows it's possible. But would they attack students? "But..." he starts, going to argue, but stops. He thinks back to things that he's read about the Battle of Hogwarts. That McGonagall called the armour and statues to fight. And he knows, like everyone else knows, that most of those people who fought against the castle were Slytherin or past-Slytherin. Mitz is Slytherin now. Maybe they don't attack the other students, but they might attack him. "Alright. That makes sense. Be good to the Headmistress."

He hadn't planned on /not/ being good. But still. It's good to know.

(TEELA EP)
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:49 pm

"Probably makes life easier in other ways, too. Anyway, you probably won't see her much. They say she used to teach, but she doesn't anymore, now that she's Headmistress," Jerel explains. He's in his element, talking so much, having Mitz's attention on him. He's missed having Mitz around to listen. He listens better than most of Jerel's friends. "You'll deal more with Professor Epsilon. She's our Head of House, Head of Slytherin House." He nods up at the high table. "She's wearing the green pin on her robes."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Mitz follows Jerel's gaze again and he thinks, really, who else could be the Head of Slytherin House? Professor Epsilon sat alongside all the other professors, smiling lightly and sometimes politely, engaging in conversation. She was wearing robes that shimmered whenever she moved and, yes, she was wearing a green pin on them. Her white-blond hair was cut short and brushed close to her scalp, making her seem very harsh and sharp. She did laugh occasionally, when another teacher spoke and said something witty, which took the sharpness away for only a moment.

"Is there anything I should know about her?" Mitz asks, suspecting there'll be a bunch that he'll need to know about her. He felt like she should be scared of her, that he would be scared of her when they speak for the first time in any class settings, but right now he didn't feel scared at all. It was probably Jerel's influence.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:14 pm

"She teaches Transfiguration for the lower years and Alchemy for the upper years, sixth and seventh." Jerel's looking forward to taking the class, one day. He figures even if he's the only recruit, he'll make it worth Professor Epsilon's while to teach him, even after hours. Alchemy is an old-school traditional wizarding subject only recently re-introduced to the school, and Jerel is fascinated by the idea, and he's a fair hand at Transfiguration, Herbology and Potions, the holy trinity of requirements. "She likes independent thinking, new thinking, new ideas, evidence of research," Jerel offers after a moment.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Mitz takes a breath. "Okay. That's...maybe two and a half out of the four I can provide right now? Alright." He wonders how in the hell he's going to be able to suddenly be independent, but he knows from stories that his family have told him that being good with the Head of House is a good idea.

Of course, all his information is for Professor Flitwick and he had a ten-point plan for him. He'll have to...improvise. He hates improvising.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:32 pm

"You'll start to figure it out. Mitz, just wait until you see the library here." Jerel has not been quite able to shake the Stillhavens' natural love of libraries and learning. "You can learn a new thing every single minute in that place, I swear."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Mitz looks excited for a second, then confused. "The way the others," meaning the family. "The way they told it, it sounded like there was no point in bothering with the main library if you can get to Ravenclaw tower?"

He wonders if he could get into Ravenclaw tower. He should be able to /see/ it, at least.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:52 pm

"Mitz, a dozen generations of Stillhavens haven't bothered to go into the Hogwarts library. Imagine all the stuff we can learn from it that they never bothered to," Jerel points out, waving his chicken around. "But yeah, Ravenclaw Tower's pretty on point, too. If you can find the eagle and answer its' riddle, it'll let you in, whether you're in Ravenclaw or not." He shrugs.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Mitz doesn't say anything but gives Jerel a look with a raised eyebrow. Mitz isn't exactly /mischievous/, nor could he ever be described as such by anyone, but he has been known to dare his brother to do things---and to rise to dares himself.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:20 pm

"I'm not going to tell you where the eagle is," Jerel says, smugly. "Either you're smart enough to find it, or you're not."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Mitz snorts. "Well, I mean," he says, trying very hard not to sound full of himself or overly confident. "Do you really think that's going to be a problem? The way everyone tells it, Stillhavens barely have to say a word to the eagle to be able to get in. I'll definitely be able to find it."

He stops, wondering suddenly if he's in Slytherin because he's too dumb to be in Ravenclaw. But that's not what the hat said and he doesn't think headwear can lie.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:41 pm

"Please." Jerel snorts. "I'll bet you dessert that Great-Aunt Lavinia had as much trouble as anyone getting past the riddle. I heard that during NEWTs last year, a seventh year actually started crying when they couldn't answer the riddle."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:16 pm

"Could you?" Mitz asks, because he's at least 89% sure that Jerel's tried it by now.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:22 pm

"The riddle changes. But--" Jerel glances over his shoulder, knowing Ravenclaws get pissy about him sneaking into their territory. "Yeah. I've done it. A few times. Just to see if I could."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Mitz grins. His big brother is so cool. "I guess...I guess it's sort of your birthright? No matter what house you're in, I mean," he suggests. Knowing Jerel did it is exciting, like he did it himself. He's sad, he knows that, but it's really very thrilling. Their family always talked about how no-one from any other house could get into Ravenclaw tower.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:41 pm

"All it takes is a good brain, I think," Jerel says. "And we've been trained to answer riddles, anyway. That helps. You know, I thought at first that the eagle wouldn't even talk to me? But once it did, I realised that maybe it was just sorting through its riddles trying to find a good one." He snickers.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:43 am

"It knew that you'd be hard to trick," Mitz says, awed. "And you /still/ got past it. ...what's the tower like?" He's wanted to know that all his life, but suddenly he has a new question in his head. "What's the Slytherin common room like? Is it a tower as well?"

Last edited by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:43 pm

"No, Mitz, it's--" Jerel practically lights up. "It's underneath the lake. Some people call it the dungeon, but it's warm and cosy and there are massive windows that are all underwater. You can see merpeople swimming past. It's amazing, Mitz. You'll love it."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Mitz can see, at least, that Jerel loves it. So he'll try to love it. He's a little disappointed that it's not another tower, that he's not going to be able to watch owls and other birds fly around when he has time to waste. He loves the idea of flight. But he's never had a chance to even think about studying merpeople.

"Sounds great," he attempts. Nerves are starting to settle in. He eats a little more while he can; he's not sure if anyone told him the food schedule, but he doesn't know right now when he'll eat again. He should try to get more food into him even if he doesn't feel like it.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:44 pm

His prefect will take care of all that. Slytherin prefects have the littlies' backs, no doubt, making sure the upperclassmen don't take advantage of them during the hazing, getting them to class, figuring out which littlies need what kinds of support. Sharp eyes, sharp tongues, both towards the first years and towards those who mess with the first years (and Slytherins in general. Jerel's probably going to be an excellent prefect in a couple of years).

"It's really safe," Jerel says, more quietly. "It feels safe."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Aw, it's going to be some Slytherin prefect who shoves Mitz into a chair and begins working on his elocution and confidence.

Mitz chews slowly, watching Jerel's face. "Safe would be...nice," he says. He means that safe would be welcome.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Of course! Probably by making him read his homework out loud on the pretence of making sure he's not embarrassing Slytherin. All first years do it at some point, Stallhaven. You're not better than everyone else, are you?

"It is." Jerel keeps his face studiously normal, but when he meets Mitz's eyes, he flashes him a brief smile. They both know what he means by safe--safe from bullies, safe from questions, safe from expectations and demands. Safe from loneliness, too, and from neglect, but Mitz'll figure those out once he gets used to a dorm.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:01 pm

B-better, how? Mitz, well, he already knows that, that, he's got really good marks. That's--uh, it's announced. After tests. And some classes.

Mitz nods. He still doesn't feel like he's going to be staying where he is for the night, the year. He feels like he's going home, oddly, at the end of the day. He knows he isn't but if he was, he would report back to their parents that Jerel is happy, for once, and they should stop bothering him about Slytherin. Mitz doesn't think he's ever seen Jerel happy before this.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Good. But an older student's offering to help him with whatever he needs help with. Get even better marks. Not plateau. Not reach a peak at age eleven and never improve on that. They can help him improve. He's going to refuse that?

"You're going to like it," Jerel promises him. "It's not a tower, but there are classes in towers, so you won't be missing out. And it gets cold, up there. It's cold." In more ways than one. Slytherin's cold, too, but they gather together for warmth, basically.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:48 pm

No. No! No, of course not. No. That'd be--no, he's not.

"Good thing we have scarves?" Mitz says, unsure. He's been looking forward to the classes here since he was five but apart from the subject matter, no-one has ever given him details on the classrooms. He knows facts, of course, who hasn't read Hogwarts: A History, but people speaking about things always makes it easier to learn. "It's going to be fun, probably. It'll be fine."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Good. Start reading. He'll stop Mitz when he hears something worth stopping for. Doesn't have to be loud or quick. Just read.

"Yeah, it will." Jerel nudges him again, then pushes a bowl of peas towards him. "You still hungry?"
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:08 pm

Mitz looks a little pale and he sighs. Then he begins to read and since he doesn't have to do it loudly, he does it quietly and meek.

"No," Mitz shakes his head. He's too nervous to eat any more. "Sorry."
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:13 pm

It's a start. The prefect really does give helpful suggestions on the paper, but mostly, it's about the reading, and after a little while, Mitz does get better. It's a small improvement, but it shows that he /can/ get better.

Jerel shrugs. "Okay. It's not quite this much food for every meal, but still, there's breakfast, lunch and dinner. You won't go hungry here." You'd better not go hungry here, he doesn't say.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 pm

He'll slip every time he gets a suggestion or correction. He'll lose all confidence as soon as he has to think about how he's been wrong.

"I won't," Mitz says quietly, because he knows what Jerel means. His brother is always so obsessed with what Mitz is eating, if he's eaten. He's just about ready to change the subject, maybe ask Jerel what subjects he prefers, but it's right then when the Headmistress stands up and gives the end of the night speech--something short and sweet, something about new beginnings and keeping noses in books--and a prefect goes to stand at the top of their smallish table.

"First years, get up and follow me," they say and Mitz notices that the same thing is happening at the other house tables. He glances at Jerel for direction, though he's already getting up to stand.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 pm

It isn't so much about being wrong now, the prefect explains, as being able to be better. It's very good. It can be better.

Jerel is obsessed with Mitz's food intake. It's the easiest way to keep him healthy, and it's probably a little bit of an eating disorder, just using someone else as the control focus instead of himself. When Mitz looks at him--for reassurance, Jerel thinks--Jerel nods, and gives him a slight push. It's important for Mitz to spend some time away from Jerel at the castle tonight, so he knows he can do it tomorrow, too.

Of course, getting lost is practically a tradition.

Jerel and the other upperclassmen wait around, Jerel and his friends chatting about the classes they've picked up for third year. They give the prefects time to guide the young ones through the castle, through the common room, and get them situated safe in their dorms. They don't want to overwhelm the kids on their first night. The second years are flush with happiness at having taken their first carriage rides, and being allowed to stay back with the big kids.

Jerel kind of worries about Mitz the whole time, but he has trust.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistra_blache on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Good, but not good enough? Mitz can do better. He can get to better.

They both probably have elements of eating disorders. Control is something they're low on, the both of them.

Mitz follows with the rest of the first years, enjoying the castle and getting to see all kinds of things that he's only read about before this. When he was here with Mother, after Jerel was sorted, he only got to see one room and he's already regretted not being one of those children who could just wander off. He would have been able to see the castle before he was supposed to.

He's given the common room password ("Bulwark") and he can see what Jerel means. The room initially feels cold and unwelcoming, but then he catches the sight of a large, comfy looking chair by the high windows looking into the depths of the lake. It's dark and quiet, like a pillow fort with a muffling charm on it. The fires glow bright and welcoming. There are even shelves of dusty old books that call to Mitz--though he suspects it might just be peerage and family trees, if any of the stories about Slytherin are true.

He's put in a dorm with three other boys and that seems like a fresh, tiny hell. But his trunk and his owl are waiting for him when he gets there and that's a little like comfort. He doesn't really know his owl but it was a gift from Aunt Josephine. It's all okay.

Everything is so dark, though, he thinks. Everything is green and silver and black and even deeper green. If they all don't want everyone to think Slytherin are dark wizards, he thinks, they should probably think about changing the color scheme.
sinistra_blache

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down