[Arthurian] Tavern fight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Arthurian] Tavern fight

Post by freosan on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Camelot has a lot to offer in the way of entertainment, and Prince Cedrych of Mercia and his men are fully making the most of it. A knight himself, Cedrych has always enjoyed spending time with those of his men who are willing to put aside his rank. Which is most of them, after he's fought them a few times. Nothing like sending a man sprawling on the ground to make you forget he's above you. The knights of Camelot don't seem as inclined to stand on ceremony with him, and no wonder; they serve their Queen directly, and he's of no consequence at all next to her.

He's brought his knights and Camelot's alike to the largest tavern in the city, a rather pleasant place with very kind barmaids, and he's told them they're not to worry about their tabs. It was perhaps not the brightest decision he's ever had, but he wants to celebrate. Her Majesty has informed him that he's free to court her, if he so desires. It's not the unequivocal yes he was hoping for, but it's worth a few pints, or a few dozen.

He's cheering to the successful throw of Sir Deorwine's dart when he hears a loud crash from the far end of the room. Then there's a lot of laughter. It seems one of his men has become too drunk to keep his hold on his tankard.

"I sincerely apologise for that, my dear," Cedrych says to the young woman pouring his ale. She shakes her head and murmurs something about it being not unusual, Cedrych doesn't manage to catch any of the actual words, because one of his men has just said something about Her Majesty, and not in a pleasant tone. He looks around for the speaker and catches him as he continues.

"...of Camelot? Queen of Whores, more like. You all seen her too, with that knight, and her 'physician', and that - whatever he is, boy-whore, too," he slurs. Cedrych cannot believe what he's hearing, and he stands, beginning to draw his sword, to address the insult - but he's beat out by the Queen's champion, who is on his feet with his sword aimed at Sir Esmond almost before Cedrych can blink. The room falls nearly silent, the air tense with the insult and the challenge.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Re: [Arthurian] Tavern fight

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:40 pm

This is not the first time Snooze has needed to set a drunk knight straight. This is not the first time one of the knights has had a problem with serving under a woman's command--because the Queen does command her knights, even if she doesn't stand in the yard and train them--without being able to serve under her in other ways. And this is not the first time Snooze has needed to stop and take stock of the situation after acting a little too quickly.

But this is the first time Snooze has had to do it in front of one of the Queen's suitors.

Even as he rests the point of his sword on the hollow at the base of Sir Esmond's neck, Snooze glances at Prince Cedrych. He's oddly pleased to see the man half-out of his seat with his hand on his sword. If he's intent on drawing it against Snooze, the courtship will be over all the sooner; if he's drawing it against the insult to Mouse, well. That's a different matter altogether. That warrants more serious thought.

"Say that again," he says, very softly, to Sir Esmond. "And then say it in the duelling arena, for all the court to hear. Defend it, if you will. If you think you can. If you think the gods are on your side," he adds.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 am

Sir Esmond has his hand on his sword as Sir Edgar moves, but Edgar is faster than he is. With a sword at his throat, Esmond stays his hand, but glares and curses. "Aye, you'd defend her, of course you would."

Cedrych walks over to the tableau, sword drawn, before anyone else can think to join in. Esmond never knows when to stop, especially when he's drunk. If Cedrych doesn't intervene, this could turn into a real fight - and the last thing Cedrych wants is for a bar brawl, of all things, to ruin relations with Camelot. Not, he thinks, that giving direct insult to the Queen is a good move in that arena. He holds his blade pointed downwards, ready to hold off anyone who's drunk or stupid enough to attack Sir Edgar. "Sir, if you wish to challenge him, I'll uphold it. The insult was witnessed," he assures the champion. He glares at his knight, who looks from him to Sir Edgar with his anger rapidly turning to alarm. "Now, if you wish, or on the morrow, if you wish formal combat." Looking around at his frozen men, he adds, "And any others of you who are willing to speak evil words of the Queen of this country, I will challenge myself."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:32 am

Snooze breathes a little easier when the prince takes his side. No doubt Cedrych will suffer for that in the training yard or on the battlefield sometime in the future, but the man has some measure of chivalry.

"If the next words out of your mouth, Sir Knight, are not an assurance that you will present yourself and your apologies to Her Majesty tomorrow, then the next words out of mine will be a formal challenge," Snooze tells him. He told his men they would have to play nice with the Mercians. He really shouldn't be challenging one of them on the first night.

But the Queen had named him her champion. So her champion he would be.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 am

Esmond glances up at Cedrych; he tries to look imposing. "Remember, Sir Esmond, the king will hear of this either way. I assure you he'd rather hear that you saw the error of your ways without having it beaten into you."

As Cedrych expected, Esmond wilts at the idea of explaining himself to the king. He still glares harshly at Sir Edgar, but he manages to say, "I will apologize," through gritted teeth.

"Acceptable, Sir Edgar?" Cedrych asks.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 am

Snooze holds his position for a moment longer, to show he's not afraid of some hedge knight's evil eyes, then inclines his head. He sheaths his sword. "Thank you, your Highness, for witnessing the situation." He'll hold the prince to it, if Esmond backs out tomorrow.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am

Cedrych, too, sheathes his sword. "It is only what chivalry demands," he says. "Sir Esmond, go back to the barracks. I don't want to see you again until you're ready to apologise for your insult."

Esmond stands up, gives the most cursory bow Cedrych has ever seen, and slinks off. Cedrych sighs. "I am sincerely sorry for that, Sir Knight. I had no idea such ideas were being put about. I'll make a personal apology to the Queen myself tomorrow, for not having caught the rumors before someone felt free enough to shout them out in a tavern."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:44 am

Snooze doesn't want to tell this stranger exactly how often Mouse will have heard these rumours. It's not something they're proud of. But Snooze has managed to weed out knights in Camelot's guard who can't handle serving a Queen who has no husband and several close male friends. "As you wish," he says. "If you are planning to keep your knights about you during your courtship, your Highness, perhaps you might speak to them on this matter, as well." He knows he shouldn't tell a prince how to rule his subjects, but the next Camelot knight defending his Queen may not be so courteous.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:48 am

Cedrych nods. "Most certainly. I would prefer to avoid giving any further insult, if at all possible." He may have to send a fair few of them back to Mercia, at this point. Not something he's looking forward to in the slightest.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 am

"I should hope so," Snooze says before he can stop himself. He's sort of surprised that this needed to be said.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 am

Cedrych looks at him and raises an eyebrow, but decides it's not worth taking insult. Besides, the man is right. "I am sorry. If you hear anything else of the kind from my men, please tell me. I'll set this to rights somehow."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 am

"Yes, your Highness." Snooze sketches a bow appropriate for a prince. "I believe I shall leave the men to their drinking," he adds, turning to toss a couple of coins on the bar for the troubles caused.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 am

Cedrych nods. "Until tomorrow, then."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 am

(Oh, man, I just had a flash of absolute certainty: if this was Jerel and not Snooze, Jerel would be trying his damndest to get Cedrych to flirt with him, even take him home so to speak, just to push Cedrych's boundaries and see if he's wanting to marry /Mouse/ or wanting to marry a Queen. It's a good thing this is Snooze.)

Snooze inclines his head. He wraps his cloak around himself, has a quiet word with his second-in-command, and leaves. He'll have to stay in the barracks tonight, to keep an eye on the Mercians. He was looking forward to everyone being too drunk to notice him slipping away, too.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:45 am

(Jesus Christ Jerel just keep on being you why don't you. I don't know what Cedrych would do. He's not particularly loyal to Mouse yet, except in that general chivalry sort of way. But I don't think he'd be all that tempted by Jerel. ...It might make him think there could be some truth to the rumors, if this is how Jerel acts.)

Cedrych will stay here until the bar closes, the better to keep an eye on the men and be sure that the barkeeper is well compensated. (Poor Snooze.)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 am

(Oh, Jerel'd find a way to make it clear that Mouse refused him long ago, so he gets his kicks elsewhere. It'd be like Jerel's way of testing Cedrych. And if Cedrych did happen to be tempted, Jerel'd leave him cold and wanting, snicker, and immediately report to Mouse. He... has probably done this before.)

I guess that makes him a real prince, heh. Snooze will be awake most of the rest of the night, making sure all the knights get back in one piece. He's looking forward to dragging them out of bed in the morning for training.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:58 am

(Jereeeeeeeel. Mouse would not be pleased with that. Though she'd make no effort to stop him. Eventually she may start teasing him about marrying him off to a foreign prince since he seems to like them so much.)

Cedrych has never been more happy that he gets his own rooms in the palace.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:03 am

(It's not them he likes. It's testing them. Seeing if they're as honest and true and brave and pure as they all claim to be. Jerel likes shattering the illusions.)

Snooze won't be expecting him at morning practice, that's for sure. He's surprised to see Sir Esmond there, grim and pale in the early morning light as he and the other Mercians pair off for practice with pikes. Snooze hustles the Camelot knights into their armour and the lot of them--including himself, of course, he wouldn't ask them to do anything he won't do himself--go for a run.

Around mid-morning, court is called to session, and most of the knights break off for breakfast.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top