[Fairytale] The Proposal

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Fairytale] The Proposal

Post by freosan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:27 pm

(I figure since Arthurian is in this section, this 'verse is also appropriate here. Thinking either of the boys could pick up on the first day the snow melts, or something like that. The first visit that isn't required by Mitz's werewolfism, y'know.)

Winters are long, here, and difficult. The snow often makes it hard to reach the village for weeks at a time; Mouse feeds her chickens, chops her wood, brings the goat and her kid into the kitchen for warmth, gives the cat scraps of her own food when all the mice are frozen solid. She breaks the ice on the rain-barrel every morning, and she clears snow away from her door and her path. She practices her spells, some of them, spells to start a fire and to walk on snow, so that if she must she can travel, whether it's to a birthing or to defend the village. She does other, simpler things, because they must be done as well: the gathering and cutting of the herbs that must be gathered and cut at midwinter; the sewing, by hand, of quilts and clothing; the spinning of thread, and the repairing of furniture and remaking of shoes.

Sometimes, when the moon hangs like silver in the grey morning sky, she meets Snooze at the top of the path, and brings him inside, and soon Mitz is there, too, shivering until they both embrace him and draw the cold and the night out of his bones. Those are her very favourite nights. And that, too, must be done. She could no more deny Snooze and Mitz her touch than she could deny the sun the right to rise.

But there is one thing she does, this winter, that she has never done before, that is /not/ something she must do. She goes into her uncle's secret chest, filled with the money of distant lands and papers she's not supposed to have read, and she takes out three solid gold coins; she finds the book written in the language of Arabia, which tells her the way of manipulating metals by magic; and from the coins, after many weeks of difficulty and molten gold and burnt fingers, she makes three plain gold rings.

She looks at her work with pride, and a little nervousness. She knows what they represent; companionship, love. But she has these things already, in Snooze and Mitz both. What she really wants is different: security, legitimacy. When the three of them wear these rings, she will never have to spend another winter alone. She holds on to them, and waits for spring.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Re: [Fairytale] The Proposal

Post by nocturnalie on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:20 pm

On the first day the snow melts enough that the guards swing the city gates open, Snooze gets up an hour early and trudges through the slush to the bakery. His hands are cold and slow to respond, and he hasn't done anything like this since the Midwinter festival. The baker gets up around dawn to start the bread, and by then, Snooze has finished the cakes. They're delicate and sweet and they'll be handed out for free to the children this morning, to celebrate the opening of the gates.

Snooze takes a small woven bag and tucks a couple of the small cakes into it, helps the baker get the bread out, then pulls his coat on and heads out of town, on the path to the woods. It's a long and quiet walk. Being one of them, Snooze knows the woodcutters won't be heading out until the wood dries; the town's stocks aren't quite distressing yet. He's the only one out here, unless Mitz had a similar idea.

For some reason, Snooze is nervous as he passes through the trees and walks up to Mouse's door.

Will she be awake by this time? What if he wakes her up? Will she be cross with him? But he's bringing baked goods, so maybe if she is cross, she won't be cross for long. Snooze scowls at himself and knocks.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet
Name: Snooze Lungbarrow
Class: Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:33 am

Mouse wakes with the dawn during the winter, but it's a slow morning for her - her chores done, she sits by the fire and makes a half-hearted attempt at reading while Cosette does her level best to tempt her into a nap. She doesn't expect anyone from the village, since out here the snow is still thick on the ground, as dense as the trees are; so the knock on her door gives her a fright and makes her stand up, knocking the cat off her lap.

After she gets over her surprise, though, she rushes to the door. Only two people ever visit her out here, after all. She throws the door open and launches herself at Snooze, grinning.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 am

Snooze nearly drops his little bag of cakes as he catches the amazing flying Mouse. He spins her around--he loves doing that--and sets her down in the doorway again, so her feet don't get cold on the snow. "Good morning," he says, all smiles.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 am

Mouse stands up on her tiptoes and kisses his cheek. "Good morning," she says, blushing a bit. It takes her a few seconds to do anything but smile at him, and then she shakes her head and pulls him inside. "Come in, come in, you're going to freeze." She closes the door tight behind him. "I take it they opened the gates today? It took long enough. I missed you."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:52 am

Snooze offers her the bag of cakes. "This was the first morning the lock wasn't iced over. I missed you, too. Sneaking out on full moons wasn't the same."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:09 am

Mouse takes it, and reaches up to undo the clasp of his cloak, slipping it off his shoulders. "I knew I should have come up. I could have melted that right open." His black cloak hung on its hook next to her red one, she looks in the bag. "Oh, Snooze. You shouldn't have," she says, but she reaches into it to break off a piece and pop it in her mouth. "You are so good at these," she says rather inelegantly through a mouthful of crumbs.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:13 am

"I had lots of time to practice over the winter," Snooze says, practically beaming at how much she seems to enjoy them. That's what he wants out of life. He doesn't want to chop wood forever, until he's as old and gnarled as the trees themselves. He wants the baker to take him on properly, not just as extra hands in the winter. But he'll settle for the blissful expression on Mouse's face. "There were more than enough left for the children, don't worry."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:22 am

Mouse shakes her head. "Forget the children, you need to bring these up here more often," she declares. Then she sighs. "I guess I shouldn't eat them all at once. Come, sit, let me get your boots off and get you a cup of tea." Whenever either of them comes to see her, she always wants to hover over them, make them as comfortable as possible. Part of it's just that she cares for them, part of it is that she's always surprised they'd come all this way just to see her.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:25 am

"Tea sounds wonderful," Snooze says honestly. He's been up for several hours now, and curling up with Mouse by the fire is precisely what he wants. "You don't have to take my boots off," he adds, smiling. "I can do it."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:32 am

Mouse moves the kettle from the hearth to the hook above the fire, and turns back to him. "No, you just sit. I know how hard that walk is," she tells him. When he doesn't immediately move, she wraps her arms around his waist and tugs him towards the blanket-covered, oversized chair nearest the hearth.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:46 am

Snooze grins and wraps his arms around her right back, so she has no choice but to tumble down onto the seat with him. She's beautiful like this, warm from the fire and happy to see him. She's beautiful all the time, but he always forgets when he hasn't seen her for a while. "I missed you," he says again.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:01 am

Mouse snuggles into his lap and kisses him quickly again. "You said," she reminds him. "I should get a horse. Or - or a flying carpet. Something so I can visit you more." She reaches up and brushes his hair back. "I like having you to myself, though."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:06 am

"I would kiss you in front of the whole town, if you'd let me," Snooze teases her gently. "But this--being here with you--it's peaceful. I do like it."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 am

"I would kiss you in front of the whole town, if you'd let me," Snooze teases her gently. "But this--being here with you--it's peaceful. I do like it."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:16 am

Mouse drops her head onto his shoulder. "And then what would poor Mitz do?" she asks. "Waste away in sadness because you got the privilege. You can both kiss me all you like here."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:21 am

"And each other," Snooze points out, even as he brings a hand up to curl through her hair. "I'm not sure which they would dislike more--both of us kissing you, or us kissing each other."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 am

Mouse sighs at his touch and closes her eyes. "Probably the pair of you. After all, if you're both kissing me, I put a spell on you, didn't I?"
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:29 am

"A wicked and evil spell," Snooze agrees. "One that makes us happy. Horror of all horrors." He leans in to kiss the curve of her ear, then under it, then under her jaw.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:40 am

Mouse tilts her head back, her giggles turning to a satisfied hum when Snooze presses his lips to her neck. "Well we can't have that going on, not in this village." She traces her fingers up and down his chest.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:46 am

"I'm sure there's something in the town charter against happiness," Snooze agrees. Mouse's skin is warm and soft, a sharp change from the bitter cold outside. "So it's a good thing we're outside the town, really."

(Fifteen minutes.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 am

"I suspect my uncle planned it this way on purpose," Mouse says. "The only interesting things happen out here." She takes Snooze's free hand and pulls it to her chest to warm his fingers.

(oh nooooooo)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:56 am

"Right in the middle of the action," Snooze murmurs. His eyes are fixed on where his hand settles on her chest. He can feel her heartbeat, strong and steady.

(And now it is only five.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:04 am

Mouse kisses his neck and presses his palm flat against her chest. "It's nice having the action come to me," she says. "Though I wish you didn't have to suffer so. You're still freezing."

(Farewell~ <3<3)

freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:11 am

"Another five minutes of holding you like this and I'll be fully thawed," Snooze assures her. He presses his face to her neck, tucking his cold cheeks against her.

(Goodniiiiiiiiiiiight~! &hearts;)

nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Mouse yelps at the cold, breaking into low laughter, and wraps her hand around the back of his head, covering his ear. "At least I can make the trip worth your while."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:07 pm

"You always do." Snooze leans into her hand, pleased. He misses how easily the affection comes when he's with Mouse. "I--" He takes a breath to steady himself. "I love you."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:14 pm

(AWWW SNOOZE is that the first time he's said that?)
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:15 pm

(Yes.)
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm

(eeeeeeee)

Mouse catches her breath, surprised by the sudden confession, and hugs him, burying her face in his hair. "I love you too," she says softly.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Snooze hugs her back, as tight as he can, and kisses the side of her head. "Good," he says softly. "I mean--yes. Good." His smile is unstoppable.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Mouse presses her lips against the side of his neck, smiling as she breathes in his scent. She doesn't think she's ever felt so warm before, not like this, from the inside. She just wants to stay right here forever...

And then the kettle whistles. Mouse jumps, giving Snooze a kiss as she rushes to get it off the fire before the cat starts yowling back at it. She pours out two cups of tea, and grabs a pair of thick knitted socks off the mantel. "Sorry about that," she says, looking back over her shoulder with a smile, "but just as well. You're too distracting."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:23 pm

"I will take that as a compliment," Snooze says with a grin. All too well, he could imagine what living here, with Mouse, all year might be like. It sort of makes his chest ache.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:37 am

Mouse sighs. "It mostly is," she says, giving him a playful wink. "It makes it difficult to remember things I wanted to tell you, sometimes, though." She puts the teacups on the side table and sits down in front of Snooze on the floor, fully intent on getting him out of his boots and into his socks.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Snooze catches her hands and rubs her fingers in his. "You don't have to," he says, about the boots. He doesn't want to make Mouse feel like she has to wait on him, like some husbands do in the village.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Mouse kisses his fingers and tugs her hands back. "If you thought I did you wouldn't last very long in my house," she says, and starts unlacing. "I like being domestic, all right?" She blushes a bit. She really does, though. It's about the most normal thing she has going for her. And it's a nice change, doing favors for someone who can thank her for it.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:42 pm

"As you wish," Snooze smiles. He lifts his feet for her obligingly. It's--he's nowhere near the point of admitting this--but it's kind of nice to be taken care of like this.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Mouse drags his boots off and rubs his feet a bit before she tugs the socks onto him. "Better?" she asks, looking up at him.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Snooze sighs with pleasure. "Much. You're an angel," he says fondly.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Mouse laughs and sits up on her knees, resting her hands on his lap. "It would be nice if I were. I could just whisk us away somewhere warm whenever I needed to."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:09 pm

"Somewhere warm, where no one cares if three people share one bedroom?" Snooze says wistfully.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 am

Mouse nods. "There must be somewhere like that in the world. Mustn't there?" She knows there are plenty of places that her uncle used to talk about, where he and his Doctor could be open about their relationship. Maybe a place like that would be more accepting of having three committed lovers.
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm

"I would hope that not everywhere in the world is like this village," Snooze says. He reaches out to run his fingers through Mouse's hair.
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by freosan on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Mouse smiles and pushes her head into his hand. "There's better places, there must be. But... it's not completely horrible, here. Couldn't possibly be, since I have you."
freosan
MALEVOLENT CREATOR
MALEVOLENT CREATOR

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnalie on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Snooze strokes through her hair, and smiles a little sadly. "Eight or nine months of the year, in any case."
nocturnalie
EVIL MASTERMIND
EVIL MASTERMIND

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next